Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway indications to know if your stator is going bad? I have the 86 Aspencade SEI GL1200 and last few trips it begins to overcharge early on. I control the overcharge by turning on all electrics (lights ,radio etc...) then it stays at 14.5 and after few miles then goes back to normal. I've had the electrosport R/R for the last 3 yrs on it.It was the upgrade without the black sensing wire. If it's just a R/R going bad I'd like to keep the bike but if stator is going out I'd like to get a new bike before I find myself stranded. Anyone have any suggestions. Last trip was 8 hrs of riding and for 6 mi it tried to overcharge then no problem.Just took out for short ride and did it again right after 2 min of riding then quit again.

·
Administrator
27,361 Posts
A bad stator will not charge enough, or at all, it CAN NOT overcharge.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
348 Posts
The voltage regulator or connections to it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AWESOME ! My greatest fear is stator after following some forum threads .The bike runs perfect and was given to me so I want to get all I can without much expense. I soldered all connections since changing original R/R. Will the standard 40 amp replacement be ok or should I just buy the moffett? I sure would like to get by cheap.The bike has 70 k on it

·
Administrator
27,361 Posts
You could sell enough of that extra bling on it for scrap metal to buy a good regulator.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got to take all that junk off to get to the goods! LOL

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,133 Posts
If you can swing it, I would get the MOSFET R/R,
it runs cooler, and will last forever

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
348 Posts
Has the troubleshooting been performed to verify that it is the regulator yet? It could be faulty connections.

·
Administrator
27,361 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just went through this with my 1984 GL 1200I. With the key on, check your battery voltage first, then check the voltage on the regulator sensor wire (black wire) using the ground side of the battery. If they are the same the sensor wire is good. If the sensor wire is more than 1/2 volt off the regulator is pushing the charging voltage up based on what the sensor wire says and is over charging based on the difference. Mine was 1 volt lower and it was charging the battery at 15.3v. There are different ways to correct this but I chose to re-route the sensor wire to the battery. It is now charging at 13.4v.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts