Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally got to the last of the 14 DVD's produced by Fred Harmon on general maintainance of the GL1800 and I can only say they were absolutely amazing. Anyone who is prepared to take their 1800, strip it to the frame and rebuild it with a spanner in one hand and a camcorder in the other deserves a bloody medal. What impressed me is that, here is an ordinary guy in a small domestic garage, showing us in simplistic detail how to do what we all thought was beyond our capabilities.He does things several times to give different camera angles just to make sure we got it all. Given that he was working in intrigate areas with one hand wotking a spanner or wrench, whilst the other held a camera, the quality of the work is brilliant. I am totally convinced that they are a worthy addition forany 1800 owner who has a little but not a lot,mechanical knowledge and they should be able to tackle any job on the bike saving a fortune on service bills at the same time. I don't know you personally but well done Fred Harmon. The ammount of time and work that went into this project must have been incredible.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The famous Fred Harmon - author of dozens of online photo tutorials on maintaining, modifying and accessorising the GL1800 - has finally completed his recent project. He has videotaped himself undertaking all these activities, and has arranged for a publishing company to convert the videos into DVD format and sell them direct to the public.

I quote today's announcement from Fred below:

Quote:

Ok the video is done and you can now start ordering. The distributor is Cassette Communications out of Greenville Texas. The phone number for ordering is listed in this message below.

I have had to invest several thousand dollars up front to make the first set of copies. So my VISA card is about to take a BIG hit.

The final cost is $85 for the 14 DVD set, of 28 hours of wrenching video. Shipping is going to be $8.95. The discs will be packaged in a 14 disc soft case of some sort (I haven’t actually seen it myself yet). This brings the total delivered cost to $93.95. This is the lowest I could get the costs and still have a decent product.

They are recoded on DVD-R media in DVD Video format. Please make sure your player can accept this format before you order them.

The first set of orders will be held for two weeks before they are shipped so I can get an idea of how big the batch size needs to be made. After the initial two weeks, they will be shipped as orders are received.

And finally, the phone number FOR ORDERS ONLY is (903) 455- 2555, then dial extension 10. They will NOT be able to answer any questions, and will only be taking orders. If you have any questions, direct them to me at [email protected]

Here is the table of contents:

DISCLAIMER/WARNING

THIS MESSAGE SUPERCEDS ANYTHING SPOKEN OR PORTRAYED IN THE CONTENT OF THIS VIDEO

THIS VIDEO IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. IT IS NOT AUTHORIZED TECHNICAL DATA. DO NOT TRY ANY OF THESE PROCEDURES AT HOME.

READ AND USE THE HONDA GL1800 SERVICE MANUAL FOR ANY MAINTENANCE OR REFERENCE INFORMATION FOR YOUR MOTORCYCLE.

Disc 1
Intro GL1800 Maintenance--- :04
Tools & Jacking--- 1:02
Front Wheel/brake remove--- :33
Front Brake pad replace--- :15

Disc 2
Front wheel/brake install--- 1:11
Top shelter removal--- :45

Disc 3
Air Filter removal--- :30
Gas Tank Removal--- :25
Rear shock removal--- :24
Pre-load adjuster service--- :26

Disc 4
Rear Spring replace--- :23
Rear shock install--- :18
Air Box R&R--- :28
Air Filter Install--- :21
Gas Tank Install--- :27

Disc 5
Cruise Control Adjust--- :09
Fork Removal--- :31
Roller Bearing install (pt 1)--- 1:23

Disc 6
Roller Bearing install (pt 2) --- 1:36
Wheel Bearing R&R--- :24

Disc 7
Top Shelter Install ---:46
Windshield R&R --- :41
Cruise control adjust cheat --- :07
SmarTire tire sensor system --- :14

Disc 8
Rear Tire Change --- 1:21
Front Tire Change --- :39

Disc 9
Fork Oil Change --- 1:16
Coolant Change --- :46

Disc 10
Lower Cowl R&R --- :16
Clutch Fluid Change --- :42
Valve Clearance pt 1 (left head) --- 1:03

Disc 11
Valve Clearance pt 2 (right head) --- 1:09
Trunk Latch R&R --- :55

Disc 12
Valve Shim Swap ---1:38

Disc 13
Stem Bearing Adjust --- 1:21
Brake Fluid change --- :44

Disc 14
Total Fork Rebuild --- 1:30
Anti Dive operation --- :07
Frame Inspection --- :08
Headlamp R&R --- :12
Bloopers: --- 06

"If it ain't broke, I can improve it till it is"

Fred has already said separately that he has no problem with people copying the DVD's for friends. He is not making any money out of it, and is just glad for as many people as possible to see the video.

The credit for the aboveisthe result of a posting on another Forum by Nigel MacIntosh (Bigwing) Webmaster Northwales Wings.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Fred Harmon is a member on the 1800 riders forum which i was myself for a long time. :clapper: He is just an ordinary guy like ourselves and is far from famous.:stumped: He obviously has more time than most 1800 owners when he was able to produce this set of DVD's. :?I know plenty of 1800 owners one being the wingnut who could do the same thing or maybe even better but they just dont have time. :baffled:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Just shows what a humble Wing owner can do when he puts his mind to it, time permitting as Redwing observed.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just thought I would come back to this subject again having spent the last couple of days completely servicing my 1800.

I took my portable Television/DVD combo into the garage and did the servicewhilst watching the DVD's, pausing the DVD when I needed to. I managed to quite successfully and easily replace the air filter. Initially it looked impossible but Fred's video footage makes it simple for anyone with just a little limited mechanical knowledge. Inext did the brakes, oil changes and sparkplug replacement. I really enjoyed working on my own bike in the garage and was really pleased with the fact that I could actually do it successfully without any major problems. There is a great degree of satisfaction for a non-mechanic to do his own servicing and when completed you are safe in the knowledge that it has been done completely.

Best money I spent this year on the Fred Harmon DVD's which are a very worthwhile purchase for any 1800 owners when you consider the prices garages charge by the hour, doing work you can't100% guarantee hasbeen done completely as it should be.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Good to hear about the benefits of that DVDLittlejohn and it's even nicer to hear that you are enjoying working on your Wing. I find that sometimes the garage time spent with a Gold Wing can be almost as pleasurable as the ride time.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Especially when it's pouring down outside!

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Lets not forget that Mr Harmon was the one to bring the frame problems with the 1800 to the attention of the powers that be to force (persuade) Honda to recall and repair them.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
You've got that right Paul. :action:
Hey Goldwinger1984 :stumped: Does that mean he has got everything else wrong :shakehead:

:doh::18red::doh:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I've seen the set and they are very useful. Some of the methods I would question, like leaving the fork sliders in the bike when pulling the legs off as I've seen a couiple of bikes toppled over doing this. But if you haven't got access to a vice then its your only option and the DVD set makes maintenance easier simply because it takes the mystery out of it all. :waving:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Redwing wrote:
Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Hey Goldwinger1984 :stumped: Does that mean he has got everything else wrong :shakehead:

:doh::18red::doh:

Nawww, Exavid's pretty good at getting things right Redwing.
Oh thank god for that. :clapper:You had me very worried. :crying:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Redwing wrote:
Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Nawww, Exavid's pretty good at getting things right Redwing.

Vic
Damn straight, I may be left handed but I'm no leftist!

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

The Fred DVDs are a gret help. Just being able to see other people doing these jobs makes it easier. :waving:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.