Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This has been a problem that was supposd to be addressed last year and I didnt get around to it. I somehow burnt the connector to the right of the battery. The one that uis connected to the solenoid.

i have been waiting for warmer weather before getting to it but Before I even take a look. I wonder if anyone has had the same or similar problem. I think I need to hard wire but not sure if female side( connected to solenoid) has any leads that i can solder.

2nd search resulted in my answer.

Just had to use different keywords

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

yea.... have read a little on here about the plug on the solenoid. It can be hard wired. I would have to do a search to be more explicit. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Muay, are you talking about the 6ga copper wire that goes from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid?

If that's the wire you're talking about, you'll need about 10" of wire, and 2 closed loop terminal ends to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

MDKRAMER, sorry this is not what I meant.

The solenoid housing has a female connector and the male connector has melted into the female.
I found my answer.
I will buy some connectors tommor and solder and connect them in place seperatly and then coat the area with dielectric grease

I will be out there spending some quality time with the wing tommmorow. i will take some pics. maybe I can make a tutorial since we do not have one of these and this seems to be common problem in older wings parked in non temp moisture control enviorments.

these connectors accumulate debris, moisture and start coroding leaving you with a loust contact. Increasing the resistance and forming heat thus melting the plastic.

I have read 3 similar probs on the search and found my answer

jose

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Ok, my apologies for misunderstanding. Good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

the solonoid wire was the second thing i did on my wing when i got it 18 months ago, the first thing was the three yellow wire, i bought the bike on a wednesday from a bike shop 350 miles away from me, rode it home with no problems, the morning after i broke down in my local town centre, i come to start it, and nothing happened, after a while of cussing i just happen to look at the solonoid, the plug was burned out, i wiggled the wires got it started an rode home, about a mile, i cut out the plug for the three yellow wires and did the job on the solonoid, i also checked the rest of the wiring around the reg/rec unit, which looked good, a sigh of relief, and i fired it up, and has never let me down since, having said that, i did do the poor boy conversion six months later

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
This has been a problem that was supposd to be addressed last year and I didnt get around to it. I somehow burnt the connector to the right of the battery. The one that uis connected to the solenoid.

i have been waiting for warmer weather before getting to it but Before I even take a look. I wonder if anyone has had the same or similar problem. I think I need to hard wire but not sure if female side( connected to solenoid) has any leads that i can solder.

2nd search resulted in my answer.

Just had to use different keywords
Is this the one your looking for?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Actually this is what mine looked like. I was fortunate to only have the male plug melted and burnt. Everything else was fine so I removed the plastic connector housing and pluged staright in after cleaning the contacts.

I seperated each by some shrink tubing, then I had to tape the unit together . The top part of the tube didnt shrink enough

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

havnt chenged out the dogbone yet because I have 4 spares that were bought at the dealer by the PO. Im too cheap to toss them

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

thats what mine looked like, i cut them off and soldered new ones on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.