Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Changed the plug wires and plugs this morning. After buttoning everything back up, I took her for a brief test ride. After a few minutes I started smelling a burning electrical smell and she went dead. There was white smoke coming from the area of the solenoids. I had to push her home. When I took everything apart again, the back of the fuel pump relay was melted away. The only thing I can figure is that I shorted something when I put everything back together. I can't imagine changing the plug wires and plugs only would cause something like the pump relay to fry. I cannot find any other wires that have melted insulation or are burned. Anyone else ever experienced this or, if not, have any ideas as to what may have caused this?

She was running fine, although a bit rough, before this. :?

P.S. Tested the fuel pump and it is still good.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Who knows, relays do fail now and again. Also it's possible the socket that holds the relay may have gotten corroded which will cause overheating.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Hi Mark, its likely that something you have done has casued this, either that or a dodgy fuel pump, go back and check over your wiring in case wired wrong or wire nipped and shorting somewhere, get the circuit diagram and check the wiring is as per

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Ex and Derek, I'm more inclined to believe that it's my doing. I put that relay on last Tuesday and it was working fine until I messed with the inner workings in that area while changing the plugs and wires. I tested the fuel pump by jumping the black & white wires at the relay plug and the pump runs just fine.

If anyone else has any ideas I'm wide open here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.