Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We'd like to pick up some Frogg Toggs rain gear, but I'm not sure which model to get. I'm getting these to wear over our gear, so I'd like bright colors. I found Road Toads for $46 @ Gander Mountain. Of the 2 reviews listed, one complained of them tearing easily. Is this common with Road Toads or with Frogg Toggs in general?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Lot of members on here just love em'

They say to buy a couple of sizes bigger to fit over clothes.

I'm sure a few will be along soon to give you the scoop.

Personally I like tourmaster, but they cost more.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Had mine for over a year and they are just fine. In fact, wore them home last night over my jacket because of a cold snap. Not only do they keep you dry in the rain, they work well as a windbreak over your cold weather gear as well. Don't know about tearing easily, but most on here will tell you to keep them away from hot exhaust pipes.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

I bought the DriDucks 3 years ago, so far the first set is holding up. I bought 4 sets, M-L-XL-XXL.
On warm days, we use the M for her and XL for me is great.
Oncold days,we use the L for her and XXL for me, over our coats.

They are a bit flimsy in the wind. It would be nice if they offered a double thickness in the same style. They'd hold up a little longer but as it is there not made for motorcycle riding, just standing around.

I expect the DriDucks to last us about 5 years before replacing. Not to bad for $13 each, (Ebay).

So far I can't complain, they're still holding up.They're not to good at keeping out thewater at the chin area. But if you wear a full face helmet that be little problem.

Hope that helps.

:action:Floyd

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,135 Posts
imported post

I bought the high reflective ones. Seem to be a lime yellow color.

As said, very light weight, no tears, fantastic wind breakers on a cool day over my mesh gear.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I bought a pair and barely got a season from them. They fit very loose in arms and legs. Flop in wind and wear total thread bare. I bought my last rain gear from Leather Up. Have used them this season and seems to be pretty good so far. Rode 2 hours in rain Tuesday and the never leaked a drop.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

We have a set of the Road Toads for each of us. These are made for motorcycle riding, have zippers in the legs for pulling on over your boots. We have had ours for about 4 years now and they stay on the bike. No problems with tearing, work well as a windbreak if needed, and keep us totally dry in the rain. We paid $50 a set and have no complaints.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I had a set of the Fogg Togg Road Toads for a number of years, that was always packed in the lids of my saddlebags and have been used quite a bit. Kept me dry and warm

After the 4th year, I noticed the material badly frayed around the right wrist/cuff. Although it looked shabby, it still kept me dry. I decided to get a new set, one with a high viz colour and longer zippered openings in the legs, to make it easier to get the bottoms on/off, without removing my size 12 boots.

I ended up going with the Horney Toadz, which come in a set of black pants and a high viz green top. The Horney Toadz are made of a thicker, more durable material, which should see them lasting longer. The pants have a zipper that extends up to almost the knees and has a Velcro covered double flap. It has proven to be very waterproof. Seeing as they are rather new on the market, they are not all that easy to find at a half decent price.About $30-40 more that a set of Road Toads

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

We have frogg toggs and like them. They keep you completely dry in the rain and they do make a nice wind break on those cold rides. We haven't had them long, so I can't really comment on wear and durability, but like anything else, Im sure it will have a great deal to do with how you care and store them when not in use.

As far as size, we ordered for 3 of us and the ones that we purchased said to order the size you normally wear because they are over sized automatically. We ordered our sizes and they fit over our close very well.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

We bought a set of Road Toads for the ride to Alaska this year. They made the trip with no problems and we used them quite heavily. Since then we have been using them here in the Great North Wet (West).

My wife's set is a little more worn than mine because of the buffeting she gets riding on the back but both sets keep us dry with no leakage.

Although they feel like paper they are pretty darn sturdy. I would however like to check out the set Ken (Dusty Boots) bought because I tend to keep things for a long time.

Buy your normal size, they are already oversized to fit over your clothes.

Several times a year Cycle Gear will put them on sale for $20 off. That is the time to buy them!!

Henry

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

http://www.holbrookdavis.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=21

Buddy of mine who puts on many rain miles is on his 5th year with this suit. I bought mine last year midd-summer and wear them as a wind break and rain. LOVE EM!! wIFE HAS THE FROGG TOGG an it does fine for her also, but she does not ride the rain as much as I do.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I bought a set of Frogg Toggs about this time last year and have to say they are great. Bright yellow ones and they do keep you dry. I've worn my also as a wind breaker on cool nights.

Mine have started giving me problems with the jacket zipper. Now I just use the snaps when I need them.

My only complaint is I'm vertically challenged. And though using the government's chart for weight versus height, I'm classified as a short fat sucker,,, I carry my 170 pretty good for being 5'-0".

I'm not fat,,, I'm thick in the body. So to get the pants to go over my normal pants,, the lenght is way too long.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
I bought a set of Frogg Toggs about this time last year and have to say they are great. Bright yellow ones and they do keep you dry. I've worn my also as a wind breaker on cool nights.

Mine have started giving me problems with the jacket zipper. Now I just use the snaps when I need them.

My only complaint is I'm vertically challenged. And though using the government's chart for weight versus height, I'm classified as a short fat sucker,,, I carry my 170 pretty good for being 5'-0".

I'm not fat,,, I'm thick in the body. So to get the pants to go over my normal pants,, the lenght is way too long.
Me too, but I like to go instead of a " Short Fat Sucker " to " FLUFFY " person

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Frogg Toggs for $46 is what I bought-excellent choice.
I bought them 1 size larger so they fit over my riding pants and jacket easily. While I could see how they might tear easier than a heavy vinyl set they are actually pretty durable. What I like most is that the pants don't snag on my boots as I put em on. Nice feature when you are getting dressed roadside! I always put my butt on the seat (opposite the sidestand) and lean into the bike while donning the pants. Works great!

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I'm on my second set of Frogg Toggs.

I had good luck with mine. The first set I had about 6 or 7 years. I have a lot of rain miles on them. I still have them. But I didn't want to get caught on a long ride and have them start leaking on me. So I got a new set.

I never got the Road Toads. They are the Frogg Toggsmodel designed with motorcycles in mind.

When I got my first set, I didn't know about Road Toads.

When I got my second set, I saw them in a motorcycle shop, butat the time they were all in dark colors. I think it has something to do with the Harley image. Can't ever put a light color on a motorcyclist. So I passed on them and went with a heavy outdoor model. I don't care for them because they are too heavy. Not nearly as comfortable as my first set. They will probably last forever, but I get very hot when I wear them. Also, they have velcro cuffs on the sleeves and the legs. My first set had elastic cuffs. I miss that.

I saw recently that the Road Toads now offer a set with a light green colored jacket. The pants are still dark though. I may try a set of road toads next. But I insist on having a light color that is more visable in the bad weather.I think that during bad weather, motorcycle image should not be a deciding factor. Motorcycle visibilty is much more important.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

On my third set of Frogg Toggs.
Still have the first set of silver gray and move the set from the bike to the little fish boat. Velcro and zippers, great suit.

The second set was a bright yellow and just fell apart; liner in the pants and the zipper on the jacket.

The third (bright green top, black pants) now has about 4K miles, as I use the jacket most of the time as a wind breaker. However this summer the rain cloud followed me around from Mich. down to FL. and stayed with me. The suit does a good job of keeping the water out. The pants are wearing very well as is the jacket. Much better constructed with larger teeth on the zipper.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm leaning towards ordering the Road Toads in the Hi Vis/Black for visibility, as Wolfman eluded to. I like the ones ahnerjj linked, but they appear to be quite a bit heavier which might prove to be too hot.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

This is their road toads selection.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm

I just don't understand why they make the set with ahi visablity green top and black pants. But I've read that bright green is the most visable color in motorcycle apparel, so that's the set I have my eye on. I figure a bright jacket is better than all dark.

Right now, my set of regular Frogg Toggs are yellow.

If I decide to get a set of Road Toads, there is a motorcycle shop local to here that carries them. I'd like to get them there to support the local economy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.