Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I found this on another forum -

[suP]my goldwing back fired at a idle stalled and when i started it back up it ran real rough the timing belts are still in time i went though carbs has good spark running out of ideas[/suP]

Any words of wisdom for me to pass along?

[suP][/suP]

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Credit will be given to this forum and the respondant.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

sounds to me like it could be the back tire is out of sync with the overflow valve on the underside of the left membrane of the right carb ,when the 2nd plug is sparking on the left cyclinder of the overhead velve timing cover ,,,,,but if you just turn the key to the off position ,it will solve the problem ,,no more backfiring ,,:?:?:?

How is that for an answer ,,,god I am starting to sound like a GURU :D,,,, Ciaran

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
sounds to me like it could be the back tire is out of sync with the overflow valve on the underside of the left membrane of the right carb ,when the 2nd plug is sparking on the left cyclinder of the overhead velve timing cover ,,,,,but if you just turn the key to the off position ,it will solve the problem ,,no more backfiring ,,:?:?:?

How is that for an answer ,,,god I am starting to sound like a GURU :D,,,, Ciaran
And lets not forget the kill switch!!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

mjpliv wrote:
I found this on another forum -

[suP]my goldwing back fired at a idle stalled and when i started it back up it ran real rough the timing belts are still in time i went though carbs has good spark running out of ideas[/suP]

Any words of wisdom for me to pass along?

[suP][/suP]

Yah, try some punctuation. It'll help out a lot!

But, backfiring... I would have him check the valves. If an exhaust valve isn't sealing for whatever reason... (Carbon fouling, damaged lifter, sticking guide, bent stem, out of adjustment, etc.) it will lead to backfires. Also would need to know what cyl's it was coming from. Consistancy, does it lessen as the bike warms up?

Another thing to look at is the connection to the ignition system. Poor spark can cause backfires. If the plug doesn't fire while under compression (Which DOES happen), it will spark again on the top of the exhaust stroke (Remember, these are wasted spark engines) and will ignite the unburned air-fuel mixture that is leaving the cyl. Check the connections to the coils, check the coils, coil wires, plug boots, and plugs.

I know he said it has good spark, but I need to know how he tested it. If it was by pulling the plug out, grounding the strap, and cranking the engine, then he doesn't know if it has good spark, just that it has A spark. The thing to do is get an inline neon tester, and see if it lights up on you. You can get them for $10 at auto parts stores. It's not to be confused with a circuit tester. All you do is pull the plug wire off, snap this thing onto the plug, snap the other end of the tester into the wire, and crank away. It won't light up unless the plug is sparking.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Wow, there's so many things that could be at fault in this scenario, especially since there is no model year stated. philcsandhas covered a lot of trouble shooting areas, but, I would add checking for vacuum hoses that may have been blown off in the backfire and possibly a slide that may have stuck open due to dirt and built up fuel residue.

Vic

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
It would help if we knew what model Goldwing it was! :?
Hey FitzAl :waving: We have to do what the yanks do "I Guess" :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I will see if I can drag it out of him.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Most likely ignition? Since most descriptions of ignition function are "it looks good" (and looks have nothing to do with it), its probably there unless it swallowed a valve, and I doubt that. Carbs usually dont "just break" but ignition pulse coils do. Jumped time or a coil output gone weak? Time to hang a timing light on it. Or if its a GL1200, just shoot it and put it out of its misery. (GL1200 joke)

One other thing - the digital clock on my first Aspencade was destroyed(electrically) due to a "backfire." Failed due to ignition pulses on the charging system from bad wiring. Found a 400V pulse running amuck on the charging system. Impossible to diagnose without an oscilloscope.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.