Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, I want to change the old, knob style Cassette/AM/FM radio to a CD player/radio. It is mounted in the fairing above the speedo. Has anyone done this? Somewhere I saw a bracket to make the switch. Please help.

Marty

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Have you considered patching in an MP 3 player? Much less luggage to tote.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I'm a bit of a novice, but on the 1200, I've only seen them mounted in one of the saddle bags....I use a cassette adapter with my ipod...It works pretty good......

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have a cycle sound system. I have tried a couple of different cd players in mine and no luck. They skip bad. Just to much vibration in the fairing. I did stay with the cd player because of the 200 watt of power. The opd cassette only had about 50. Mine has a aux input plug on the face. So I just use a mp3 [player. If you have perfect smooth roads the cd will work. But the roads here in Illinois don't give it a chance.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
Sounds like you have a cycle sound system. I have tried a couple of different cd players in mine and no luck. They skip bad. Just to much vibration in the fairing. I did stay with the cd player because of the 200 watt of power. The opd cassette only had about 50. Mine has a aux input plug on the face. So I just use a mp3 [player. If you have perfect smooth roads the cd will work. But the roads here in Illinois don't give it a chance.
No, the 1100's had the cycle sound system, the 1200 interstates have an integrated unit. the fact is, I want a replacement CD player to replace the Cassette deck/radio.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Geezerglider wrote:
Have you considered patching in an MP 3 player? Much less luggage to tote.
That wasn't the question.I want to replace the Cassette deck/fm radio with a CD player.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
I'm a bit of a novice, but on the 1200, I've only seen them mounted in one of the saddle bags....I use a cassette adapter with my ipod...It works pretty good......
No, mine is mounted as a factory part of the fairing, above the speedometer.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

I changed mine out to an aftermarket cd player (Pioneer) The problem I had was that it is that it is 3 inches longer and does not fit properly. The handlebars will hit it if you turn to far. I plan on making a fiberglass adapter to make it look better. Until then the automotive adapter just looks out of place and I had to modify the stock plate for the radio to get the metal sleeve to fit properly.I don't have pictures yet as I was waiting til the finished product.

Kevin E

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

What you need is what came with my ole girl........raised panel to support auto style radio, plus of course the weatherproof cover. If I recall correctly I had to modify or remove something inside the fairing as well.

Available here if the pic does not show:

http://tpennell.shawwebspace.ca/photos/view/84_gl1200i/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks guys. I didn't realize the CD unit would be longer than the cassette deck. Wildcat, do you know where to find such a unit as you show?

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

The weatherproof cover is readily available at both marine and motorcycle dealers as well as eBay. Unfortunately the tapered extension I have no idea on. It came with the bike and I bought the bike from a bike wrecker. It does work well tho and leaves enough room for steering the bike around the shop etc where full turn of the bars is required. From what I remember there is no identification marks on the extension either.

Perhaps now that the pic is up someone here will recognize it.

Cheers
Tim

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I actually have a weatherproof cover, and I am looking at buying a marine unit anyway, since I have to buy one anyway. I have searched the internet as much as I can for the tapered adapter, can't find it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thread over... I just went back out and looked, and I actually have that extension piece, took measurements, and they will fit. Not quit sure how the new ones mount, since they don't have the knobs to serve as the mounting friction, but will work that out. On to ordering a new unit. Thanks everyone.

Marty

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

That adapter can be purchased just about anywhere that installs car stereo's if your setup doesn't work out.I think they said it was listed for an older Buick of some kind.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

For our vacation last year I installed a "elcheapo" Wal-Mart marine type CD player in my 1200. It was listed a water resistant, not water proof.

I didn't have a cover on it so the first good "toad strangler" on the BRP killed it. So what ever you install, really watch out for water.

One day I'll redo it with a CD changer and some sort of amp inside the fairing some where.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

The Interstate has a factory AM/FM Cassette? I thought only the Aspencade had that.
You guys know that most AutoStereo makers have "short" version decks available as well as 50 to 200x CD player that don't skip. But I'd still do the ipod

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

I have an cd player but it has a aux input that I use my mp3 player with. I only use the cd player when parked

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.