Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I replaced the speedometer drive this morning. Discovered the second time I replaced it (I put the old one back on the first time:X), that I didn't need to take the calipers off. Anyway, as I was kind of playing around with the wheel I noticed that the tighter the axle holders (on the left side) the more resistance there was on the wheel turning freely -- not sure why that would be, any ideas?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

what?? you need to pull it all down and check all..i would...speedo drive can be funny...i know they are on the 15's...i replaced mine and it stopped again...oh well i cant rack up the miles now...wo is me!!

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Chuck , I am not sure I follow what say correctly . The way I interpret I think if you are tighening the left side first it would/could be causing the wheel to tilt slightly to the right. This would cause a bind in the caliper pads till you tighten the right cap .

Also when you finish getting both caps torques correctly , apply the front brake a few times while rolling the wheel by hand . This could recenter the pads and calipers on there sliders .

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I didn't do such a good job of explaining. The brake calipers are fine, I was just mentioning that I discovered that the speedo drive can be replaced without taking the calipers off. I just jacked the front wheel up enough to drop the axle.

What happened was this: I noticed that when torquing the nuts that hold the bracket for the axle that the resistance of the front wheel changed. The wheel had more resistance spinning when I torqued the bracket. I'm not sure why that is. I don't see why the axle brackets should impact the resistance of the wheel spinning.

I took it for a test ride, no wobbles, no braking problems, and the speedo works. Yea! Which also means by self canceling turn signals work again. Yea! I'm sure the people who have been following me for miles with a turn signal on are very happy as well.

Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.