Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here's a 'very cheap, 'quick n dirty' temporary fix you can easily do in 'the field' ifthis switchfails on you while touring.

I was turned on to this by Rudy, while we were in touch with each other, during my 21,000mi tour this past summer.

Shortly after setting out on my '2nd leg' of this summer's tour, my CC quit working. I quicklynarrowed it down to a failed front brake Cruise Control Cancel micro switch.Since most dealers don't carry these in stock (and not knowing where any large Honda dealerships were located along my rather flexible route), I shot off a quick email to Rudy and he was able to quickly get one from Venco Wings and shipped to him, in GA. He offered to ship it to my next destination, but I told him tohang onto it, until we hooked up at ES7, later in the month.

While all this was going on, I was thinking that there must be a way to 'bypass' this switch, in order to get my CC up and running again.

Then Rudy suggested I insert something metallic between the two connectorsthat connect tothe micro switch terminals. I emailed him telling I didn't have any extra wiring, connectors, or crimpers. He suggested just cutting out a section of a soda/pop can and inserting that. We both couldn't see why that wouldn't work, but he figured that I would have to use one of the other 'cancel systems', or the CC ON/OFF button on the right handlebar switch housing, in order to cancel the CC, like when coming into town, or to a stop..

During my next fuel stop, I bought a can of soda/pop and when I stopped for the evening, I cut out a small section of the aluminum, doubled it over and jammed it into the two connectors. I then wrapped that with some electrical tape and put everything back. I started up the bike and set off around the campground to try it out. Not only did it work, when I hit the front brake lever, it cancelled the CC, just like normal. :cooler:

Not only does this repair work, I'm still running with it, months and thousands of miles later. The odd time when I hit a good bump, it will cancel, but a quick stab at the 'Set' button restores it once again

Anyone who does any long distance touring, knows how inconvenient it is when your CC is not working! :lash:

Here's a few photos of the 'Fix',that are rather self explanatory. I just used my pocket knife to cut the thin aluminum of the soda/pop can.

It is easier to access the wires if you remove the front brake lever 1st. (slot screwdriver and a 10mm wrench)

Location of front brake cruise control cancel switch ...

Then slip the protective rubber boot that covers the switch and terminals back down the the wiring harness, to expose the switch and the terminals/connectors ...

If you need more room to work with, you can remove the CC cancel switch. Just take note of which wires/connectors go where ....

Once you get the proper two connectors removed from the switch terminals, insert your doubled over piece of aluminum/tin into the connectors ....

Then wrap your 'fix' with electrical tape, completely covering the aluminum/tin. ....

Now all that's left to do is to slip the protective rubber boot up over the connectors/terminals,reassemble everything and carry on

Hope this tip comes in handy when you experience a failure of the front brake cruise control cancel switch, when you are out on the road.

Thaks again for the support while on the road, Rudy!! :bowing:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Winter must be setting in up there Eh Ken ??? Good pictoral tip, does this mean your your home-made water-heating stove is safe from being canabalized ?

Have a Happy New Year... :gunhead:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

How about a fuse? Would that work too?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Hey Stu, that sounds like a good idea also.... provided the fuse pins will fit inside the wire connectors. Even a paper clip or similiar would work.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
newday777 wrote:
Hey Stu, that sounds like a good idea also.... provided the fuse pins will fit inside the wire connectors. Even a paper clip or similiar would work.
I think the small ATC fuses have a smaller pin.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

You want it so whatever you 'jam' in there, is snug and won't fall out, with the electrical tape providing more 'protection' (shorts, weather etc) than 'adheshion'

·
Administrator
26,551 Posts
imported post

Good post Ken, that will also work with the rear brake switch and throttle cancel switch (if you could get to it) they are all normally closed switches except the clutch switch which is normally open so if it sticks you can just unplug it. The brake light circuit also cancels the cruise so there is plenty of redundancy.

·
Premium Member
62,990 Posts
imported post

Great tip....... Old guys rule..........................

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Good tip Ken :thumbsup:. Now it's just a matter of remembering it when out on tour :gunhead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.