Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While I have the bike down for a few days, I would like to take off the calipers up front and look at the pads. I have everything already off except the back part of the fender. Is there a link to a post that shows someone doing this. The right side looks like my VTX but the left side has an additional bracket. Just want to make sure I don't take any longcuts.

wingdinger

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Check Here for some good info.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Sorry, didn't notice that in his profile

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

As a note to us with older bikes, I had to replace the right front bracket thatmounts the caliper on my '78. I removed it for cleaning and found the bottom bolt threaded portion disentigrating as I removedthe bolt with each turndue to oxidation. There were hardly any threads left at all once removed. My thought overall is that the aluminum had become too brittle to do anything with in my book.

Shouldn't be of issue with a 1800 though.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The easiest way to inspect the brake pads is with a flashlight and an inspection mirror. The edges of the pad are easily seen with a light and mirror. Alternatively if you want to inspect the whole pad you can remove them by removing the one retaining bolt and drop the pads out of the caliper. They got back in as easily, just hook the upper end behind the caliper's slot and put the bolt back in. It's not necessary to remove the caliper from the mount unless you want to work on it.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the replies. After looking at it, I saw that the right side caliper was two bolts and the left side was only one allen bolt. I was able to take off both calipers without removing the wheel. The pads were ok but I thinkI will change them out during winter.

wingdinger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.