Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just bought the bike, have ridden it about 500 miles. The front brake (left hand-hand brake) now locks up. I have taken the caliper off twice, and bled the brake lines too, no avail.

What may be the problem here? I have been told it may be the brake line (and of course it is a part that I can not just go and buy, it has been discontinued).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

You can by after market stainless steel lines. Do a search or check out the A-Z index. Someone will be along to help. With the caliper off did you remove the piston and clean it and the housing. If the piston is corroded it may not be returning all the way. It could be the hole in the master cylinder not letting fluid return, and like you have said could be the brake hose collapsing and not letting fluid return. Let us know what you find.

Oh, welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Probably need to polish the "pots". By the way, the internet is your friend for parts. eBay, BikeBandit, etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

rgbeard is right. most likely need to pull out pistons[ pots] and clean well. rubbers maybe ok.

good luck,

mark:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I doubt it's frozen pistons, the pistons don't really retract in disk brakes. It's possible to have a brake like fail internally and only allow fluid flow in one direction but it's pretty rare. I think it's more likely the small relief port in the master being plugged which is fairly common especially if the fluid is old or the caliper itself is frozen. That happens when the sleeve through the caliper where the mounting bolt passes gets locked in place due to corrosion between itself and the caliper body. The sleeve must slip freely in and out of the caliper body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.