Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new front brake master cylinder and cannot get it to go firm. Can someone help with a bleeding procedure or ? Thanks, I apparently don't know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wrap caliper in rags to keep fluid from getting on anything.
Wrench on bleeder.
Squeeze lever.
open bleeder. Close bleeder.
let go of lever.
repeat
Repeat

you can put a hose on the bleeder and put the hose in a jar tokeep the spent brake fluid from contaminating anything.
Brake fluid will remove paint and is not good for your hands. It will burn your eyes.
David

·
Registered
784 Posts
.....and brake fluid eats ABS Tupperware as a snack...

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Wrap caliper in rags to keep fluid from getting on anything.
Wrench on bleeder.
Squeeze lever.
open bleeder. Close bleeder.
let go of lever.
repeat
Repeat

you can put a hose on the bleeder and put the hose in a jar tokeep the spent brake fluid from contaminating anything.
Brake fluid will remove paint and is not good for your hands. It will burn your eyes.
David
Plus keep an eye on the master cylinder reservoir (don't let it go empty on fluid).

Or you will get "air" into the brake system....!!!

As Dennis indicated, a Miti-Vac is good for bleeding brakes. I have one...!

·
Administrator
26,139 Posts
Pump the lever to get it as firm as possible then break loose the banjo bolt at the master cylinder, retighten the bolt before you let go of the lever. Put rags below it so no fluid will drip on the paint or plastics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pump the lever to get it as firm as possible then break loose the banjo bolt at the master cylinder, retighten the bolt before you let go of the lever. Put rags below it so no fluid will drip on the paint or plastics.
Thanks guys, it's getting better.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
You need to Bench bleed a new or after a rebuild master cyl to evacuate the air in the master.

Once the master has pressure. It will force the Air/fluid in the hose to the brake caliper. (Bleeder valve)

It's always best to have a helper operate the lever-Pedal. (To watch or top off the fluid level).
While you open and close the caliper bleeder valve. known as pressure bleeding.

A mighty vac is useless to pull the air out of a new or rebuilt master cyl. (too little vacuum)

A mity vac is helpful "IF" you are just changing fluids by yourself. (Watch those reservoir level's)

As was pointed out. It's paramount to have towels under the master. (Keep a wet cloth handy.Water will neutralize brake fluid immediately, and save the paint-ABS.)
I use a wet towel on the bottom, in case brake fluid passes through the top towel. (better to be safe than sorry after the job is done)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts