Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Rented 2010 Goldwing from Eagle, front inside pad fell out of caliper and was hanging by bottom pin, pad was down to metal,bike had no brakes, almost got killed, has anyone had this happen?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Never had that happen, but I do all my own servicing and check the pads too.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,193 Posts
imported post

Makes one wonder about the ethics of that particular rental agency....

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I can't seeing being your problem unless you're thinking about a second mortgage to buy an 1800.

You did get out of it alive:claps: but it would be interesting to hear what the rental company had to say.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

I've never seen it happen on a wing, but it is not uncommon to lose the retainer clip and pin. I don't know if it's gremlins, or poor workmanship by the previous installer, but it does happen. I was in the service dept of a local Honda shop recently, and they were feverishly looking for a pin for the crotch rocket on the lift.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
I've never seen it happen on a wing, but it is not uncommon to lose the retainer clip and pin. I don't know if it's gremlins, or poor workmanship by the previous installer, but it does happen. I was in the service dept of a local Honda shop recently, and they were feverishly looking for a pin for the crotch rocket on the lift.
Mike the pads on the 1800 only have one pin going through them, what holds the top of the pad I have no idea but that was where the failure occurred.

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
imported post

The top end of the pad goes into a notch in the caliper bracket, it was either not installed properly or worn so thin it came out of the notch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.