Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, I know that I'd probably be best getting a book on goldwing maintenance, but frankly, the budget is really strapped and what money I could spend went to new brake pads.

Can anyone give me the nutshell of procedure for pulling apart and replacing the front pads on the 84 1200? I yanked the plastic covers off last night, but wasn't really sure what to do next.

I've also been having some problems as the left-front disk doesn't appear to be operating. The left front pad is shot, but the right-front look pretty much untouched. If anyone has thoughts on that, I'd love to hear them.

cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

They are very easy to do. You can find free manual downloads on this site. The job is basicly removing 2 bolts to remove the caliper then remove bolt on the plate that holds 2 long pins in place. Those pins go through the holes on your new brake pads. Sounds like your caliper may need a rebuild too. Not difficult to do,just find the right info . Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

very common cause of the rear brake operating rear and 1 front....i think the worn out one is the hand front....that gets a beating doing most of the work...or visa versa??....i got the manuals somewhere??!!.....make sure the fluid has room to grow when you expand the caliper. sparay up the piston and clean it with a toothbrush or scotchbrite the best you can after squeezing it out a ways. this should do you well without pulling the pistons out all the way....put new fluid

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Ah...so the hand brake isn't operating both fronts? Interesting. That would make great sense, as my aft brake pedal is just a little inconveniently placed, and I don't use it nearly as often to begin with.

addenda: I just ran out front and tested the theory; the foot brake does indeed move that right-front disk; mystery solved!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you can use hot soapy water to clean everything up if you dont have spray cleaner

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

...use hot soapy water to clean everything up if you dont have spray cleaner

Thank you! I'm going to do the brake pads and an oil change this week (planning a short trip this weekend, if the weather cooperates to our church's Men's Advance). Then, start working my ways through all the put off/ignored/overlooked maintenance whenever I can talk my wife into letting me kick the surburban outta the garage so I can work in ralative warmth.

:11grey:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

what is causing the pad to wear uneven is the caliper pins... the caliper "floats" so that the piston pushes against one side, but causes both sides to push against the rotor.... when you let off the caliper "floats back to both sies not touching.... one side wearing is caused by the caliper not floating back causing the non-piston side to continue to rub... there is a pin (you REALLY need a manual) that must be removed and either cleaned up or replaced to allow this flating action

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the tip on the caliper's. Got a manual, so now I just need a little time to tear into it, hopefully tomorrow afternoon, while the kids are at school.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you will need to replace the boots around the pins, I was able to clean up my pins with some gentle action on the grinder, but you may ned to replace them as well.... then I used some of that paste for putting on machine screws so they will not freeze up (having a brain f#rt-cannot remebr the name)so they would not corrode and float

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.