Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 1982 GL-1100 standard for a friend, and determined that the front brake master has a minor leak between the reservoir and the body of the master cylinder.

I purchased a new O-Ring, Honda 45516-166-006.

I plan to remove the reservoir, replace the o-ring, and reassemble/fill/bleed and return to service.

I removed the two phillips screws that hold the reservoir cap in place, and from what I see the reservoir body should just "pop off". I've tried applying pressure to do so, and it's not happening easily.

I've even rotated the reservoir body to find some place where it "pops off" easier, and so far no good.

I'm hesitating to grab a flatblade screwdriver and apply force, as I don't want to break a 30+ year old plastic-body reservoir. Any help on this one? Do I just continue to apply gentle force or is there a trick I'm missing?

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
They are tough to get off, something wide like a stiff putty knife or gasket scraper will help spread out the force.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
brake master cly

Unfortunately the only way is brute force. The O ring is probably crusted with crud and will not come out without a fight. I did use a screwdriver and worked it very gradually and got lucky. Good luck!

Rayjoe

Just read Dave0430s idea. That sounds even better.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much, guys.

With that information I was encouraged to get my largest flatblade and provide the most widely-distributed force that I could.

It worked, and I have the reservoir undamaged and out.

Now I need to pick-out the o-ring, and re-assemble!

Thanks so much for all the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.