Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The front brake reservoir on my GL1100 1981 is leaking at the base of the white box. Is there a gasket at the base ? If so how does that reservoir box come off?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Not a gasket, there's a large "O" ring in there. Empty the resevoir and pry (twist and pull) the resevoir off.

Clean the crud out of the housing, get a new o-ring and maybe a new resevoir (they do age) and refit and you should be good to go.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

just get a used 12oo master cylinder... thats what i did and it worked great

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

notodd wrote:
just get a used 12oo master cylinder... thats what i did and it worked great
I agree. Get rid of that white plastic thing ASAP. I have had to replace several of those on several bikes during the past several years, the AZ sun just turns that white plastic to dust. Pretty much ANY master cylinder from a Japanese bike will work, they all fit 7/8" bars and the banjo fitting is the same. Put a piece of tape over the sight glass. I am about to have to replace the front master cylinder on mine, even though it is metal, because the sight glass is plastic, and is rotting away from the sun. I cleaned it good with carb cleaner, it is not leaking yet, but you can no longer see through it. I put a piece of foil tape over it to prevent further sun damage.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

epoxy a dime in there

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Above is correct..but you can just paint the reservoir once you get it off, outside only to protect it from the sun.

It is hard to get off very tight fit..wiggle, turn and you can pry it up if your careful with a large screw driver. It is just a pressure fitting.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.