Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello again guys!

I've been struggling with bleeding the frong brakes on my 76 gl1000. Using a vacum bleeder, I can get the right side to bleed air-free easily. The left side, however, will not run clear and just constantly bubbles. I'm suspecting a leak, could be at the bleeder...

So, I had my wife come out and we did some manual bleeding until the brake lever firmed up quite a bit. I decided to call it quits for the night after that, but noticed that the brakes had clamped down and won't release the front wheel.

any thoughts on how to get her to release? its sounding to me like a new set of lines (the old rubber ones are starting to crack) crush washers, banjo bolts and a caliper rebuild is in order.

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

If you loosen the bleeder and it does not release the brake then the caliper is stuck. If it does release the the return hole in the master cylinder may be blocked.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

sounds about right--you may have pick up some trash from your old brake lines or some trash in your master . the return hole hole in the master is a very small one .

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

have you replaced the brake pads as well, sometimes when you replace the pads you have to push in the pistons, if there was some build up of crap on them it can cause the pistons to stick.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Those big single piston calipers are the worst for sticking. If they haven't been disassembled and cleaned in a long time - they'll need it.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Allrighty then!!! I'm thinking all 3 calipers are coming off tonight and getting some bench time!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

The return hole clogged up on my 1200 one day going down the road. Scared the living daylights out of me.

I'm trying to remember that when it happened the lever got extemely hard with absolutely no play in it.

That was because the line was staying pressurized and it not releasing through the return hole. So the M/C was working and nothing was leaking around the plunger. But then it wasn't going through the return hole either.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Does anyone know the exact size of the bolts holding on the calipers? I know they are larger than 19mm and I need to go get the proper socket.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

I'm thinkin' return hole in master cylinder.... If calipers were grunged up, you would still have some brake lever because, especially if using (stock)rubber brake lines, the brake fluid would "swell" the lines a bit allowing a little movement at the lever... No movement at all suggests a clogged return hole of even a jacked up piston (master cylinder piston, not caliper piston). If return hole is plugged, it'll require a cleaning and maybe rebuilding of master cylinder... Guys are right though.... Those old single piston calipers get grunged up easily....Might be a good time for a COMPLETE check and clean from top to bottom. Good luck .

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

MrShake.. 1976 today is 01/06-2009, dude you're lucky those 33 year old lines didn't blow brake juice all over you and mama!
Be careful taking those calibers apart. I think the mount bolts are 17 or 19 mm. If you can use a nice box on them cause the chrome can get ugly if the wrench slips

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I'm not sure they are original lines, my dad thinks he replaced them at some point... but that could still be 15 years ago. I've got a line on a full stainless braided set that I will hopefully order soon.

I'm gonna have to get out the calipers to check the bolt size.. I know its more than 19mm

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
You either need a master cylinder rebouild or have corrosion on the caliper piston.
Something very similar happened to me, and it ended up being a stuck piston...I removed the piston, cleaned the area as thoroughly as possible, put it all back together and it's been working fine for 6 months..

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

So I'm a dummy.. it is a 19mm... I just couldn't get a 19 on their yesterday... duh

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

Take the top cover off , drain off all Brake fluid, there are two little hole in the bottom. Reduce the airPsi to 5 pound, blow out both Littleholes, (PUT RAG OVER THE TOP, BEFORE THIS) Replace the New bake fluid with Dot 4. Then bleed the brake!!

My 1St bike 3yrs ago did the same thing. The bike sat for 2 1/2 yrs before I bought it, the bike would Barty run, Carbs & Brake all Gum up. I clean the carb twice, the 1 st time it would run ok only wide open throttle, But Would not Idle. found some smaller holes in the carb that I clean with wire & cleaner. She Ran Like and Bur like a cat, So I took for ride, About 10 mikes from house, running the hell out it, I put on the front brake & it frozen & lock up.

I was sitting in middle road, could move it! I open the bleeder valve no fluid came out. Lucky another biker stop, we took off the Banjo bolt, bleed off front brake. I drove home slow with only back brake. I change to newbrake fluid, try bleed the brake no fluid again. I'm think bad bleeder screw, change it, same thing no fluid.

So I clean out brake fluid again, saw two little hole in the bottom & blew out the holes with air, But I did not have the rage over top, brake fluid all over everything, had to clean up the bike first. ( brake fluid will eat up paint!!!) SO ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE SMALL HOLES!!!. Change fluid again & bleed the Brakes, Ever-thing was NORMAL AGAIN. Just like OLD GAS & OLD BRAKE Fluild, gum& turn to Varnish. Lee (Mill Rat)

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Yea, I'm using Dot3 since its a gl1000... I'm gonna pull the front calipers tonight I hope.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

MrShake wrote:
Yea, I'm using Dot3 since its a gl1000... I'm gonna pull the front calipers tonight I hope.
Thanks everyone about dot 3, My first bike said Dot 3 or 4 in manual. I know it for Dot 4 for GL1500, Sometime it hard to find Dot4 in my area, till you find which stores carry it. I changebrake Fluidevery 2 years so this does-not happen. My cars are the list this year. Thanks Lee (Mill Rat)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.