Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I HAVE CHANGED THE FRONT PADS ON MY 82 GOLDWING.I COMPRESSED THE PISTONS BACK AND REPLACED THE THE PADS. MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE BRAKES ARE SEIZING ON WHEN THE FRONT BRAKE IS APPLIED.THIS WAS HAPPENING BEFORE I REPLACED THE PADS.WHAT COULD I LOOK FOR TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it's time for a caliper rebuild, or a cleaning at least.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Definitely time for a caliper rebuild. It's really not difficult, and all the parts are still available. I think it took me about an our and a half for all three calipers on my 83, not including bleeding.

Jack

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

You MAY be able to polish out the mess on the pistons. This will save you some money. If the pistons are pitted- buy new ones. You can polish out lots of pitting but the pistons will not be guaranteed to release pressure after the lever is released and this will really suck as you'll have no choice but to do the job again...

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Before you split thecalipers, look closely at the slidebolts that hold the caliper to the front struts and rear brake support. Be sure to clean themcompletely and the holes they mount in... Inspect the dust boots on the bolts for hardness or pinching. They should allowthe boltsto slide freely. If the calipers are sliding easily on the mount bolts, they will release static compression when the brake lever is released. HOWEVER, if the pistons are binding inside the calipers, they will not release dynamic pressure from thecylinder bore due to corrosion, binding ring seals or being cocked inside the bore.

As mentioned above, they are rebuildable and the parts are available.. My concern is to be sure you find the problem before you attempt to make the repair.. You won't have to do the job two times... Good luck.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Push the pads back in with a screwdriver and see if the calliper will float a bit. If it does then the pins are kay and it's the pistons that are seizing. You will need to remove the callipers and take out the pistons, clean them up with petrol which will remove the gunge. New seals are a good idea then. Use copper grease on the calliper pins and backs of the pads (stops squealing pads and seizing pins) and that will be that for a few years.

BYW welcom to the forum buddyboy.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

buddyboy wrote:
I HAVE CHANGED THE FRONT PADS ON MY 82 GOLDWING.I COMPRESSED THE PISTONS BACK AND REPLACED THE THE PADS. MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE BRAKES ARE SEIZING ON WHEN THE FRONT BRAKE IS APPLIED.THIS WAS HAPPENING BEFORE I REPLACED THE PADS.WHAT COULD I LOOK FOR TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

You just might have a plugged up return hole in your master cylinder which means it must be R&R and cleaned out

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

After several times trying to stop my rear caliper from sticking, I bit the bullet, removed all three calipers and rebuilt them, new pistons and seals. Worked fine after that. $65 CAD including taxes.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I've just changed the pads on my 1200, the brakes were binding as well.

I thought it was the pistons sticking but they pushed in without to much pressure, so when I remounted the calipers I tried to move them on the sliders, they didn't move an inch. After a clean up of the moving parts the calipers move under hand pressure. end of binding problem:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.