Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just had a tire replaced and since, have had a strange sound coming from the front end when I apply the foot brake...

It's kinda like a medium/high pitched, low volume, ringy sorta, something(not a brake shoe)istouching a moving part(drum) sound...

There is no roughness or any other effect... Just the sound... Guess I'll hafta take the plastic off....

Any suggestions or ideas??? Thanks, Snake...

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

I remember something about when you pull the front wheel off you have to check the brake disc orcaliber's when you put the wheel on for proper alignment. (brain fart... sorry)

Maybe it will make somebody else brain remember what I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

If this is on a 1200 series, be extra sure that wheel was mounted properly with regard to Left/Right sides; as discs are diffent thikness on these integrated brake system cycles. Not sure about newer modles.

Could alsobe that the pads were pried back too far for clearance when remounting wheel, and pistons are dragging in bores until they reseat themselves...

Hope you get this resolved....:)

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

It's a 90se 1500... The sound is kinda like an electric motor sound... I'm sure that it'll be obvious, when I get the plastic off tomorrow... There don't appear to be any decent motorcycle shops in this part of Texas...

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I've lost something here... What plastic are you referring to? The tire shop should have mounted the tire with the rotation arrows pointing to the front of the bike... UNLESS the mechanic mounted the tire in the reverse of the original causing it to be backwards now (even with the arrows poiniting front), the wheel is on the bike in the reverse. Shooter is on the warm spot with the discs being on opposite sides. Just for Sh___s & giggles, take the wheel off and mount it in the reverse. If the noise is gone, then you'll know the tire was mounted backwards...

Just a note,,,, some tire shops use a silicone based lubricant to mount tires and the tech may have just been a little sloppy with the stuff when mounting yours. Try cleaning the rotors thoroughly with solvent before swapping out the wheel...

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

By "plastics" I'm referring to the plastic chromedcovers that must be removed in order to see the brake assembly...

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You must be referring to the chrome rotor covers.. We didn't know what year your Goldwing was in the first post. Now that I've got it straight, yes, the noise could very well be from the rotor covers scraping against the rotors. Thereare mounting boss's on the back of each cover which seats against the strut and caliper mounts. If the boss'sare not seated properly, the rotor cover alignment is not centered and will cause it to warp. It (they) could easily be rubbing against the rotors on the inside where you can't see. Let us know what the fix is...

Hey teddyeti,,,Fly me to Texas and I'll fix it for you!!! :D

Just kidding... Last time I was in San Antonio this time of year, I froze my *#@! off..HA! :snowman:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Renegade, it supposed to be in the 70's for a while during the day. Quite a change! Gonna make some good use to the weather and put some miles on the bike this weekend.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

Hello Shooter: do you recall which side of thewheel has the thinner brake disc for the1200 series? I have a 1985 limited and the thinner disc is on the left hand side and it also has a smaller diameter set of pistons in the caliper than the right. When I say left, I mean facing the front of the bike looking towards the back.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

well, we took the covers off and checked the right shoes and caliper... We found nothing... The noise is like an old electric motor with a worn out brush... The tone changes with the speed of the front wheel... ????????:(

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

check the speedometer cable. make sure it's OK. There's not to many moving parts up there.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Why would a wheel bearing only make a noise when I hit the foot brake???

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks; We are in Rockport... On the coast...

When it was in the shop I had the left front brake pads replaced so I think I'll renew the right front pads and see if that helps...

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

I always thought you were supposed to replace the two front sets at the same time?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Well it does seem daft:baffled: to replace one side and not the other ,,for safety ,,I know the bike is different to a car ,whereas on a car the left and right pads are working at the same time ,but on the front of the bike one side gets used more than the other ,,,but still if it were me I would change the 2 sides at the same time:waving:,,cheers Ciaran

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.