Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI ALL,im not too clued up on the settings for the front forks damping settings,i know 1 is soft and 4 is the hardest but how does this effect the handerling and so on as this is asubject i have not come across on other bikes i have owned...many thanks BRI:baffled:

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Hi 1200bikes,

The setting are for the anti dive on the front end, as you correctly say 1 is soft going up to 4, other factors affect this from the condition of you front springs to how long since the oil was changed in the forks, Talking to others when I owned my 1200, some did not notice the difference others swore it did make a improvment, in short try the different setting for yourself, myself I set them on 4 and enjoyed 5 years of 1200 magic, and yes I still miss it

welsh winger

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

You may be dissapointed when you make adjustments. The difference between 1 & 4 is so small that I can't tell the difference.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I really can't feel much difference in the settings.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

;)hi all,thanks for your quick responses i think i will set it on 4 and see how it rides and see if there is any difference or not as the case maybe...many thanks again,BRI

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

That adjuster is for the anti-dive damping. I didn't see what model Goldwing you have, but I can tell you that on the 1500 you won't notice any difference at all. I tried it and ended up setting it back to normal.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

You're right on weewillywing, the adjusters are for anti dive only. The way you check these adjustments is to set it at 1, go for a ride, then snap the brakes on hard. In the 1 position the front end of the bike will drop to the lower limit of the front suspension travel. If you set the adjustment at 4 and go for a ride then snap the brakes full on you'll find that the front suspension drops only a small amount when stopping hard.

What this adjustment does is allow tailored suspension travel under hard braking conditions.

If you want to change the front suspension ride dampingrates you would have to change the fork oil. Lighter oil means softer rates, heavier oil means harder, rougher ride rates depending on the loading of the bike.30W fork oil makes the Wing ride like a truck, while 5W fork oil makes for a wallowing feeling.

On my Wing I use 15W fork oil as it suits the gross weight I normally ride at because it gives me a controlled suspension feelwhile still returning good damping, but, a lighter rider on my bike would find it the ride too hard riding and would have to go with 5-10W to give him the nice ride feel.

Hope this helps.

Vic

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
You're right on weewillywing, the adjusters are for anti dive only. The way you check these adjustments is to set it at 1, go for a ride, then snap the brakes on hard. In the 1 position the front end of the bike will drop to the lower limit of the front suspension travel. If you set the adjustment at 4 and go for a ride then snap the brakes full on you'll find that the front suspension drops only a small amount when stopping hard.

What this adjustment does is allow tailored suspension travel under hard braking conditions.

If you want to change the front suspension ride dampingrates you would have to change the fork oil. Lighter oil means softer rates, heavier oil means harder, rougher ride rates depending on the loading of the bike.30W fork oil makes the Wing ride like a truck, while 5W fork oil makes for a wallowing feeling.

On my Wing I use 15W fork oil as it suits the gross weight I normally ride at because it gives me a controlled suspension feelwhile still returning good damping, but, a lighter rider on my bike would find it the ride too hard riding and would have to go with 5-10W to give him the nice ride feel.

Hope this helps.

Vic
15w fork oil seems to be reccomended for Wings by anyone who does their own Wing maintenance. Must be the way to go.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

03Silver, 15W does noticably firm up the suspension, but, I'm sure there are some Wing owners who only want a cushy, plush ride and do not care about handling in the least, for those riders, 5W would be best suited for their needs.

Vic

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Vic is most likely right. I guess on nice long straight country roads with good surfaces5w fork oil would be fine. Not so goo dfor the potholed roads we frequently negotiate over here.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

This is a good mixture of information and it's what we all need... I've consistantly used ATF in forks that I work on and change it at the recommended intervals (at the very least), more often on my own machine.. Never had any leaks or performance issues....And yes... I'm very proud tosay that I amone of those individuals who really enjoys a cushy ride.... I've got a "bony butt" and need all the softness I can get...:D:D:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.