Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i just got a new michelin pilot gt front tire put on my gl1500 & now anything below 50mph i get a vibration/ shaking that seams like the front end is galuping. over 50mph i don't notice it anymore & i have been puting up with it for the past week while i was on vacation & it just started after putting the new tire on.

would this be an inproperly balanced tire or is it the tire isn't perfectly round, either a slight flat spot or bulge that is throughing it every revolution & it just gets so quick over 50mph that i no longer notice it?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Check to make sure the tire is seated correctly on the rim. If it wasnt happening prior to the install thats the place to look.
It could be balancing too.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Hi crazzyman there are a few things to check! is the tire put on the right way, check directional arrow, what pressure is in it, put the bike on centre stand then check your steering bearings . If all is ok then back to the tire shop. :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

I would think it was a wrongly fitted tyre. Check for bulges and check tyre pressures

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

the tire is on the way the arows indicate to run it, i have it at 41psi since from other stuff i've read on this site it sounds like that is what prevents the cupping the longest (i ran the old tire anywere from 20-45psi depending on when i remembered to fill it & the only difference i had was how stiff the stearing was), & from a quick visuall inspection several times it looks seated properly (i'll haveto do a more intence check tomorrow.

the rim is dented on the left side in 1 spot but it was already like that when the previouse tire was put on & i ran 23k mi on that e3 (almost completely slicked over & cupped by the end) so it had a different low speed (under 25mph) vibration by the end.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Looks like you need a new wheel? you could try Dyna Beads, or back to the supplier.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Looks like the only variable is the tire. If your sure it's seated it can only be way way out of balance or defective.

Good luck Tom

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

crazzyrman wrote:
the tire is on the way the arows indicate to run it, i have it at 41psi since from other stuff i've read on this site it sounds like that is what prevents the cupping the longest (i ran the old tire anywere from 20-45psi depending on when i remembered to fill it & the only difference i had was how stiff the stearing was), & from a quick visuall inspection several times it looks seated properly (i'll haveto do a more intence check tomorrow.

the rim is dented on the left side in 1 spot but it was already like that when the previouse tire was put on & i ran 23k mi on that e3 (almost completely slicked over & cupped by the end) so it had a different low speed (under 25mph) vibration by the end.
I found that 41 psi in the front is too high, for safety sake try it at around 35 to 37. I found that at 41 the front end chatters too much and it slides off tar snakes wet and dry. When I had my tire fitted originaly the dealer had set the pressure at 27psi. I'm not into speed but I do like great handling. 43psi in the back works for me but 41 in the front is too much. (250 lb rider)

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

crazzyrman wrote:
You said it had a different low speed vibration before the new tire. If that's my situation, I'm buying a different wheel.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Make sure your fork bushings are good and tight. Same with the steering head bearings.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

mikef wrote:
crazzyrman wrote:
You said it had a different low speed vibration before the new tire. If that's my situation, I'm buying a different wheel.
the old tire was badly cupped with a visible zig-zag wear that i think was the old vibration & it is much different with the new tire &the rimwas already dented when the previous tire was put on & i had no issues with it

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Make sure your fork bushings are good and tight. Same with the steering head bearings.
your past my knoledge of what/ were things are, i bought a honda so i could just turn the key & go (i do myown oil changes & thats about it untill twards the end)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

I also had a 1500 and I'm a 260# rider. I played with the tire pressures a lot, and although the comments on 41 psi in the front seems high, I found it to be the best for all around safety and handling.

At 36 psi and lower it was noticeable that the bike wanted to wander in high speed corners with tar snakes. 41 psi stopped that along with getting rid of the Dunlops and using Michelin Pilot GTs. That combination of tire brand and 41 psi did it for me.

Was very stable after that. Only rode in the wet a few times when mountain driving. It never rains in Phoenix (excluding a monsoon once a year) :)

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I also had a 1500 and I'm a 260# rider. I played with the tire pressures a lot, and although the comments on 41 psi in the front seems high, I found it to be the best for all around safety and handling.

At 36 psi and lower it was noticeable that the bike wanted to wander in high speed corners with tar snakes. 41 psi stopped that along with getting rid of the Dunlops and using Michelin Pilot GTs. That combination of tire brand and 41 psi did it for me.

Was very stable after that. Only rode in the wet a few times when mountain driving. It never rains in Phoenix (excluding a monsoon once a year) :)
I have a Pilot on the front and was very disappointed with the handling with the pressure at 41psi. It would slide off Tar snakes and follow ridges in the road even in the dry, wet weather grip was scary. Once I reduced the pressure, it became very flickable although less so in the rain. I have put close to 10,000 km on it this year, not a lot but I have two bikes.

The Pilot replaced aDunlop Elite 11 which was almost worn out and cuppedhandled ok but was due for replacement. I am using 37psi in the front now and that appears to be it's sweet spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.