Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How do lads..hows it going?...

My 1200 Asp was due its MOT so I checked it over and noticed the front fork seals were leaking a little oil...not much, but enough to get the " sorry mate" slip at the testing station. I got a local dealer toreplace them ( Im not too hot with mechanics and have a short temper...which can be even more expensive). It passed the MOT but Ive noticed a sort of..well..tinny clunking noise coming from the front when i go over bumps etc...a crap description I know...All they did was change the seals and fork oil. It is just a case of bedding in?...has anyone had this problem before? Any advice before I go back to the dealer and kick off would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Hey Mr Shanks does the noise stop when brakes are applied

If so-possible loose brake pads- causing noise and or loose caliper

I would check all bolts,nuts ect for tightness- possible something left loose after

repair-Did this noise just start after forks seals replaced

THANKS CRAIG A

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Could be a couple of things.. it's possible they did not fill the struts with the correct amount of oil.... The springs could be upside down in the struts.

As always, it's difficult to diagnose noises if you're not right there.. If the noise was not present prior to the seal replacement, bring the bike back immediately and tell them there is a problem.. Mechanics are human too, and make mistakes.

There is a certain amount of spring release & compression noise which is acceptible, but the clunk noise worries me..

Also, look for loose axle retainer nuts, front disc calipers or even the fender & brace. Those are things you can fix without spending a dime...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Could well be something loose in one of the forks, Renegade is telling you right, take it back.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you for the advice fella's . I shall go check it out now and if everything is tight then its off back to the dealer. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Take no chances with this, leave the bike back asap. Could well be just a rattling brake pad or something silly, but let the mechanic sort it out.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Quick update Fella's...managed to collar the mechanic that did the work...he checked the bike over and like you said....loose callipers. He assures me that when he changed the seals he checked out the whole of the forks and said they were in top nick. So another day lived...another lesson learned..thanks for all your imput.

See....contrary to what the wife says...I do listen to other folks.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

At least the mechanic was man enough to admit it was his fault. A mechanic that you can trust is a great asset.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.