Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If I have the room to remove the front forks and lower steering mount as a hole meaning like 3 or 4 feet of room with bike off the ground is it possible and to my advantage to do a steering head job with out removing both forks, top and bottom mounts Separately. What I would do is leave lower mount on the tubes and remove top. I know most would say but is only a few more minutes of work but it is also a few more minute of work to put it back together to. I have a pit in my garage and can hang the front over the end.

Your two cents worth please

MOXIE

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If you drop it in the pit is it worth the few minuites saved?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I would think (coming from someone who has yet to dig in to my wing's front end) that that bugger would be pretty heavy fully assembled. Maybe if you got another guy there to hold the weight. Personally, I'd be a afraid of dropping it, or worse, causing it to torque inside the neck and jack something up. But, I'm a chicken like that, I think I've seen pictures of guys who have done it like you're describing and it seemed to work for them.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

It would be easier to loosen the clamp bolts and slide the forks out and then deal with the tree by itself than to try to wrestle the whole thing especially when trying to put it back in. $0.02

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
It would be easier to loosen the clamp bolts and slide the forks out and then deal with the tree by itself than to try to wrestle the whole thing especially when trying to put it back in. $0.02
i agree with this...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

+2 on it beening easier to dissasemble. You also will caquse stiction by not putting it back in sequence
Wilf

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
It would be easier to loosen the clamp bolts and slide the forks out and then deal with the tree by itself than to try to wrestle the whole thing especially when trying to put it back in.  $0.02
That would be doable, if a tad awkward. The front wheel doesn't take long to remove, and I think is better as you can check things like brake pads and wheel bearings. The full teardown instructions are here: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500steering.htm

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

lordbradley71 wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
i agree with this...
I tried that before, dropped both forks with the wheel still fitted. It seemed a good idea at the time, but it was very difficult to put back in. When I did, the left brake was dragging and I had to loosen the fork clamps and shuffle things around.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
imported post

You have to take the tubes out any way so you press the bearing races off and on to change them . All so I don't think you are saving more then Ten or more minutes.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Guys you all are agreat help. I realize with the tire on would be like a ton of brick to handle and was going to go as far as the front tire and brakes. But never gave it a thought of the re-install and getting the torque right if everything is not right or slightly asque (Spelling) I have all winter and will do it like your suppose to besides it will get me out of the house and into the man cave. Now renamed by the wife as the Wing cave.

Dave 043, $0.02

+

Lordbradle71, $0.02

=

money in my pocket if something went wrong I agree.

Moxie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.