Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a 1983 GL1100 Interstate, andI'm going over it with a fine tooth comb. Me and my wife are loving it. One thing bothers me though. When I take my hands off the bars at speeds between 40mph and up, I get an instant front end wobble(it's bad) Is this something inherant to this bike and something that I can fix or do I need to take it to a, and pardon my language "dealership?"

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

first of all no hand on bars is bad lol.. but to anwser your question, LOts of things can cause this. my front brakes (only one side was dragging slightly and caused a wobble). When I fixed no more wobble.. but to much air in forks, warpped rotors, low air in tires.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello .

Goldwings are know to have a wobble on deceleration between 40and 30 MPH . Just putting your hands back on the bars normally will stop the ossilation . IT is recommended not to take both hands off the bars ot one time when decelerating . I have not had this happen while accelerating .Badly worn or cupped tires make it worse . Loose headstock bearings are also a cause . If you use the search button you can search Wobble and I amsure it will take you to many threads on this subject . You can also post a question in the Technical Forum for more help .

I hope your able to get this solved and enjoy your new bike .

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome fkrause[/align]

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Welcome, WelcomeTo Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were :15red:'sin their previous lives and can answer any question you have. Theforums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info aboutGoldwing’s and are where you ask questions and can get help..

For Sale/Wanted ForumGood stuff for Sale or if you have old parts sitting around the garage you would like to get rid of....

:18red::15red::12red::11red:

And when all you need is a good laugh to start your day try the:: Fun Forum After that it’s up to you which of the others you will like the best all I can do is suggest.

Again Welcome to the Forum...

Oh and did I mention everyone here loves pictures.. Show us some of yours... Even if it’s not a Goldwing just a pretty view

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Just a couple of Ideas:

1. A fork brace because GL's have a tendency to wobble at slow speeds and a fork brace stops most of that and they really aren't expensive look on E-Bay. Also there are some threads that discuss the two major brands and there pluses.

2. Front tire it should be around 40lbs keep it there at all time it will reduce wear and stop wobble.

3. Wear on the tire the front is much more critical than the back cupping from under inflation will give you wobble.

4. Front Forks when was the last time you replaced the Fork Oil if you don't know it's been too long. There are great tutorials here on this site to show you how.

All for now hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Welcome,

Check also to make sure the damper weight is in place behind the fering. Look in the general location of where a headlight would be mounted if you did not have the fering on. There should be a black weight about 4"x6"x2" weighing about 10# clamped across both fork tubes.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

First, welcome.

You can do a search and find hours and hours of reading about 'Wing wobble. Lots of possibilities.

Also, would you please include your mileage, and State, in your profile. Believe it or not, some people don't know where San Tan Valley is. :baffling:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Had that problem on mine awhile back. Your 83 already has a fork brace. If you have already ruled out any front end damage or previous accidents. I would check to make sure that the front tire is in good condition and has 40 psi. Than tighten the steering stem bearings.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks to all for the good tips. I'm in the proccess of trying them all. I'll let you know what works. To Bike and Dennis, we are neighbors. San Tan Valley is east of Queen Creek In Arizona. I found this 83 Interstate with 59K original miles.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

fkrause wrote:
Thanks to all for the good tips. I'm in the proccess of trying them all. I'll let you know what works. To Bike and Dennis, we are neighbors. San Tan Valley is east of Queen Creek In Arizona. I found this 83 Interstate with 59K original miles.
I actually know that you are in Arizona, but if you put that in your profile, then others will know. Believe it or not, some people don't know where San Tan is.

Also, the forum has members listed by state.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help with my wobble problem. I ended up stripping it down and replacing everything. Tires, brakes, wheel bearings, stearing head bearings, etc... I don't know which it was or a combination of everything, but the problem is solved. My old 83 feels like new. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

from what i read , you have it cured. so now--- enjoy !

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard from mass..Best place to find answers:waving:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.