Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1993 Goldwing SE with one hundred K miloes. Started out this morning and rode less than a mile and at about 35 MPH the front end started an aggressive wobble. I thought perhaps I had a flat tire but it was ok. It was so severe I thought I was going to lose it. I rode very carefull home with no problems. Any thoughts or suggestion's out there as to what I need to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Tom/

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Did you have your hands on the handle bars or riding hands free? If it was hands free, then the wobble is a common problem for that speed.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
imported post

I would check the preload on the steering head bearings... That happened to me a few years ago after riding my bike (93 Aspy) for years and NEVER having a wobble issue... When I did a spring gauge tension check (per the OEM manual) I found the preload was low so I had to retension the head bearings... That solved the problem for me...

Les

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I would check tire pressure front and back, maybe its time for a new front tire, this happened to me, i put in progressive springs and torqued my steering headbearings, this happens when the weight is transferred to the front while decellerating, also a fix is a fork bracebut you should start with tires first.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

I have a 1200 A (1985) with a low speed wobble. I had a dealer look at it, and he discovered that there wasextra space on the front wheel shaft that shouldn't have been there. He corrected that, and it helped quite a bit. So you might check that.

It still has some wobble which is probably caused by the cupping on the front wheel. (The PO ran 35 PSI in the front tire.) I've been running 41 PSI, and the cupping isn't getting any worse, maybe even better.It sounds as if your wobble happened very suddenly, so it's probably not cupping. Probably worth checking, though.

·
350 Posts
imported post

I've got a 99 gl 1500se , same problem . tried retorque no good, so I just went ahead and jumped in head first .. took it to the shop had new progressive springs, seals ,oil ETC.. steering head bearings and seals and fork brace installed, Dyna beads. NO MORE PROBLEMS !!! IT'S like a new bike .nowcan handle itone hand at any speed :thumbsup:...SMooooooth RIDE andfantastic Improvement on handling.:action:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,583 Posts
imported post

Mine only wobbled when the rear tire started to flatten out. And it only happened with Dunlop or Metzler tires.

It doesn't do it with Pirellis or Bridgestones.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Mine only wobbled when the rear tire started to flatten out. And it only happened with Dunlop or Metzler tires.

Hi, Dennis. Was your wobble at parkinig lot speeds or the deceleration speeds starting around 35 mph? Thanks.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,583 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:

Hi, Dennis. Was your wobble at parkinig lot speeds or the deceleration speeds starting around 35 mph? Thanks.
Standard 35mph hands-off wobble.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The wobble occured as I was in 2nd gear accelerating at about 45 mph. The wobble was so severe I thought I was going to lose control?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,583 Posts
imported post

35, or 45? Unloaded you would have to have hit something, or been on some kind of heavily grooved road.

Have you looked at all the frame, wheel and swingarm connections to make sure they are tight?

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
imported post

The wobble occured as I was in 2nd gear accelerating at about 45 mph. The wobble was so severe I thought I was going to lose control?
Wow - sounds like what we used to call" a real tank slapper"... Have only experienced that on one bike and it was NOT FUN!!!

Les

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.