Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just bought an 86 GL 1200 Interstate. 19,000 original miles. Has a wobble in the front forks mainly at low spped on turns. Put on a new front tire, a super brace and had the steering head bearings tightened. Still have the problem. Anyone got any ideas what it can be? The Honda shop here will not work on it as it is over ten years old.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
imported post

Might want to double check the air pressure in the tires, and front fork. Also check to see if axle-end-caps are on properly and tightened to spec.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

First off Armyguy, Welcome to the Best Goldwing Forum in the Known World! :waving::waving:

After checking that you might have to accept that at certain speeds usually around 35 and some times for a moment when starting out in a sharp turn you are going to meet Mr. Wobble. I doubt there are many Goldwings completely free of the complaint in all conditions.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

ArmyGuy wrote:
Just bought an 86 GL 1200 Interstate. 19,000 original miles. Has a wobble in the front forks mainly at low spped on turns. Put on a new front tire, a super brace and had the steering head bearings tightened. Still have the problem. Anyone got any ideas what it can be? The Honda shop here will not work on it as it is over ten years old.

ArmyGuy, I had the same problem with my 86 Wing when I first got it.

First do the suggestions byShooter and Exavidabove. Then make sure the front anti-dive is set to the same setting on each side 'will be a# 1,2,3,or4'.

If still wobbly try changing the fork oil and adding the correct amount of 15 weight fork oil.

Then play with you front and rear shock and fork air pressures to find the place with the least wobble. 'I found a setting on mine that helped a lot'

Then when thewobble happens 'and it will', DON'T grab the handle bars tightly as that exaggerates the wobble. Just lightly hold the handlebars and the slight wobble will disappear as fast as it shows up.

I'm about to install some progressive front fork springs in mine as the originals are pretty soft and sacked out. I don't have many more miles on my 1200 than you do but those front springs on mine seem awful soft.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

ArmyGuy.. As time goes on, you'll get a lot of info on this subject. I've got an 86 Aspy and had the same problem until I replaced the front tire and changed the fork fluid.. You didn't mention the make & model of the tire. Some tires are not suited for the older GW's due to tread design.. Honda's original tread layout was small squares and not the current grooved pattern that's available.. Look back in the archives of this site for much more info on front end wobble.

Inspect the front wheel for trueness. If it is out of round more than .010 in total, the wheel is bent and should be replaced. One last thing is to have the frame & suspension inspected for tracking.. the front and rear wheels must be in line with each other. Some low speed wobble is normal on these machines and you will in time handle it comfortably..

Welcome to a great site and good luck. :clapper:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Armyguy, believe it or not low or old ofrk oil is a major cause of wobble at low speeds. It's worth checking this out, assuming wheel bearings etc are okay. And yes, welcome to the forum. I hope you have some fun here. :waving:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I HAD the wobble when first starting out and leaning to turn. I serviced the steering head bearings installed new Leak-Proof seals the $25 dollar a pair suckers and new belray 15wt fork oil. Wobble is no more:clapper:And yes you can get the steering stem out with the fearing still on the bike. Its tight getting to some of the bolts but it can be done

Pat

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I had the same thing on my 84 interstate. Airing up the forks fixed 50% of the problem. Upgrade to progressive fork springs fixed the rest! Best dealI could find was at Texas wings things.

G

·
imported post

Hey ArmyGuy :waving: Welcome to the forum and visit often. :clapper:Will you please update your profile and complete the LOCATION section :weightlifter:and tell us what country you live in. :jumper:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

replacing the fork oil presents some issues... the caps can fly off with GREAT force. putting them back on is a real trick too. I took a 2X4, drilled a hole just big enough for the socket extension, my wife applied downward pressure with the 2x4 and I turned to wrench to start the cap.

btw, those of us with sidecars are used to some wobble, usually changing speeds a little will help.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
replacing the fork oil presents some issues... the caps can fly off with GREAT force. putting them back on is a real trick too. I took a 2X4, drilled a hole just big enough for the socket extension, my wife applied downward pressure with the 2x4 and I turned to wrench to start the cap.
The caps are under a good bit more pressure when there are Progressive springs in side.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

put the bike on the midstand and steer from left to right if it does not move smoothly than you need nieuw steering head bearings, tightening some times makes it worse.:15red::cool:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

Hey Armyguy, had the same problem with my '86 sei and found out it was the rear wheel bearing going south. Drove me nuts for a short tracking it down. Replaced it and the wobble hasnt' been seen since. Just get a block under the centerstand to get the rear wheel off the ground and give the rear a good side to side shake and see what falls out. Figuratively speaking, hopefully. :action:But my bets would be on what the others said, check the entire front assembly first.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

i havae the same problem with my 83 interstate and i think i have narrowed it down to several problems iin my case :crying:First the TRAC settings were different right side was 1 and left side was 3 :)then i noticed that the left fork seal was leaking :crying:then i checked the tires front is a little weather checked but tread is good the rear tire is severely cupped :crying:no bearing slop in the rear and none in the steering head that i could find :Dbike has been put up till i can fix these problem since i like to be safe and sane (well almost sane) :crying:i hope this helps ii know im new but if this helps then im a happy camper :Dhope to see some of you on the road and ride safe.:11black:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.