Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While out for a ride the other day I took my hands off the bar for a second or two and they started to shake terribly :shock:. I graped them and with very little pressure all was back to normal. It shook old whats her name (and me too). I have been over sensitive to any front end issues since and It seems to slide slightly out when turning??

Could this be the steering head or the front wheel bearings? What can I do to determine the problem? I put it up on the lift and tried to move the front tire while the wife held the bars - seems solid. At this point I am up for ideas.

Thanks guys in advance.

1989 1500 goldwing

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my bike. Start simple.

#1 check your tire pressure

#2 check your tires for cupping and or uneven wear.

My front tire was a little low when I go the bike (actually about 20 psi in it) and I noticed the same thing you are noticing. I aired it up and that solved a little bit of the problem but once I put on the new tires, it is nice and solid now and no more wobble.

:clapper:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I ran a search - duh - should have started there! Seems like cupping, air pressure are the major culprits. Air pressure is good 32now I have tried 28 and 42 but seems best around 32. I don't know what a cupped tire looks like:baffled:. Pictures or good descriptions would help. Thanks guys

Mike

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
I ran a search - duh - should have started there! Seems like cupping, air pressure are the major culprits. Air pressure is good 32now I have tried 28 and 42 but seems best around 32. I don't know what a cupped tire looks like:baffled:. Pictures or good descriptions would help. Thanks guys

Mike
http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/cupping/

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_faq.asp?id=9

Here are a some articles on cupping. It's a normal wear on a motorcycle tire and if it gets bad enough you will get the wobbles. Rub the flat of your hand along the tire along the tread, especially toward the outer edges of the tread. If you feel a big difference like saw teeth when you rub in opposite directions you have pretty well developed cupping. I don't know how many miles you have on your tires but usually long before the tread wears out cupping starts causing problems. If you hear a buzz when the bike banks in turns, that's another indication of cupping. Replacing the tire is about all you can do. I think tire problems are more common than loose head bearings, but that can also cause wobbles. Do a search and you'll find lots of info on both causes.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Mike, put your bike on the centerstand and get it where the front wheel in slightly off the ground. Spin the front wheel and as the tire is rotating, lay the palm ofyour hand on the surface of the tirevery lightly. As the wheel is spinning, and if it is there, you will feel the cupped surface. It feels like bumps on the tread of the tire. Trust me, you will know if it is cupped. If the tire feels nice and smooth while it is spinning then it is probably ok.

Since you aired the tire up, have you rode the bike? If so, does it still wobble?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yes is still wobbles - wobbles is not quite right - it feels unstable - like it moves slightly outwards from the center line - yes it wobbles when I let go of the handle bars. In turns it worries me. I think my minds playing games on me :?

I'll try the spinning tomorrow - palm of my hand on the tread or sidewall?

Thanks for any advice

Mike

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
Yes is still wobbles - wobbles is not quite right - it feels unstable - like it moves slightly outwards from the center line - yes it wobbles when I let go of the handle bars. In turns it worries me. I think my minds playing games on me :?

Thanks for any advice

Mike
The most pronounced cupping is usually along the outer part of the tread. Take a good look at the rear tire too, it can cause some odd behavior if it's heavily cupped or low on pressure.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Here is a picture of a cupped tire. See where the 3 yellow arrows are pointing, that is cupping at its finest.

(Theyellow arrows that areextending from the white box.)

I had to include that text before some smarta$$ pointed out that there are actually 5 yellow arrows in the picture. :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

while you have the front wheel up in the air from previous post try to pull and push your forks at the axle to see if there is any movement forward or backwards ( takes a good shove) If there is it coulld be your triple tree bearings.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

mjohnson I had the same problem. I changed tires,balanced,wheel bearings, steering head bearings. fork tubes were leaking changed seals twice still leaking finanly took fork tube and slider completly apart the damper rod and parts were wrong put together by PO. Now no leaks or wobble.

Alski

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:

Thanks for any advice

Mike

Man, you said it right. It is a very hard feeling to describe. I am happy to know that iit is not ME or just me.

Hawker22

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

I'd have to say, all things being equall these bikes do tend to wobble on certain surfaces at certain speedsif you take your hands off the bars. All things said above are definitely penitent, also suspension settings and how the bike is loaded will make a difference. Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the bars.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Nice one Exavid,i applaud your definition of cupping,i recently have been trying to determine the cause of poor handling/wobbleon my 93 aspy,i was about to apply the process of elimination,when i picked up this thread....when banking over, a pronounced buzzing sound is emitted by the tyre/tyres,i presume this is evidence of cupping and the case for an early diagnosis is now conclusive in my example,annoying thing is the tyres still have plenty of wear left on em?

By the way i only detected this noise yesterday when i decided to switch off the radio,rare event for me.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah that's what I used to do with my first car, when the rods started going I just turned up the radio. Looking at your avatar you might want to consider some sun block!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Had it up on the jack today and could not see any definitive cupping :?. Went for a long ride with the gang tonight and as I got "used to the feel" seemed more like an echo type of vibration.

When I got home but it on the center stand and shook the handlebars - it was like a tuning fork. After I shook the bars it wiggled for a good couple of seconds :shock:- is this normal? Is there some kind of counter weight that might be missing from my bike? Would fork braces help in this situation?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions - sorry - but thanks a bunch.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
Had it up on the jack today and could not see any definitive cupping :?.
You couldn't see it but did you feel the tire to see if you could feel it. I could not see the cupping on my tire but I sure could feel it.

One onther thing, is there any wheel weights on you front and or rear wheels. Perhapse it has thrown a weight and is out of balance.

You say that you put it on the center stand and "shook the handlebars" and that "the bars wiggled for a good couple of seconds". Not too sure what you are trying to describe here. Can you elaborate a little further.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the fork oscillated for a 'couple seconds' after you wiggled it, there's likely something loose. I'd check the triple tree clamps.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

100% sure the head bearings you would not veel any free play on centresant because of the weight of the bike there will be some free play whene it is on the road. i have had same problem. changed it and it runs like a baby no problems

:jumper:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.