Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My front end wobbles at all speeds . have a new tire(PO) and its balenced . im thinkin front brakes. any ideas or suggestions. are the calipers easy to rebuild? i have an 81 interstate 33,000 miles. i really like this site .so informative and everyone seems friendly. thanx again

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum./
When did you notice the wobble. Many times we feel a wobble when a new tire is put on. Sometimes the tire hasnt seal correctly.
why do you think it is the brakes . Are they draggin.

My next suggestion is to take the weheel off and have a look at your wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I believe tires are always the most obvious choice. After that I would go to the torque of the steering stem. Seems like many of these older bikes have lost the torque on the stem and if there is no tension there they will wobble like mad.

Unless the PO was an idiot and used a pressure washer on his wheels the Wheel bearings should be ok with only 33k but I would check them anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

This front end wobble seems to a recurring topic..maybe one of you guru's could put together the definitive summary of front end wobble fixes/tests(by model???) and put it in the How to section????

But now from me reading( as I had never had a wobble)..start with tire balancing, check for cupping too, then steering stem torque, then bearing and then???

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Not a Guru, but you might check out that the wheels are running true, not bent.

Next check out the tires are running true on the checked out rims.

Check the tires in two ways; true running seal to the rim, true running tread to the tire. I have heard bad things about old stock tires being out of line when mounted.

Hope you work it out.

Longboater

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

wwookie wrote:
My front end wobbles at all speeds .
[align=center]Now thats what I call a serious problem :D[/align]

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
I believe tires are always the most obvious choice. After that I would go to the torque of the steering stem. Seems like many of these older bikes have lost the torque on the stem and if there is no tension there they will wobble like mad.

Unless the PO was an idiot and used a pressure washer on his wheels the Wheel bearings should be ok with only 33k but I would check them anyway.
aaaaa, whats this about no pressure washer on wheels Whisker???
Being a normal old idiot I may have done this oh, probably not more than twice.
Are you saying keep pressure wash completely away from wheels?:)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,152 Posts
imported post

Keep the pressure washer away from the wheel bearings. I wash the wheels all the time, easier than hand scrubing.

But I refrain from hitting the center hub with that 1,000 psi sprayer. Good way to wash out the bearing grease.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Yesterday I spoke with an Avon tyres factory rep at the International cycle show about this wobble issue and"

"Not running enough air pressure "_I was at 38 front and 41 rear- He claimed that the newer tyres require higher air pressures- up to 50 psi and advised me to run 44 front and at least 43 in the rear tyre. due to difference in the way the tire are now constructed.

I'll try it-and see, & let y'all know, but I have not completely convinced myself that his answer is a fix-all.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

]I believe tires are always the most obvious choice. After that I would go to the torque of the steering stem. Seems like many of these older bikes have lost the torque on the stem and if there is no tension there they will wobble like mad.

when I encounter a wobble problem before doing anything i check my tire pressure. thats the easiest thing to check and at least for me has more than once been the problem. if its not that then yea go thru the steps.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how it could be the brakes unless you feel it only when you apply the brakes or maybe if rotor is obviously half off.
and then the other thing i would note is that you just got a new tire, odds are it has something to do with that. But if you want to know about rebuilding that calipers I'm going to start on mine next week I'll let you know how hard or easy it was.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
wwookie wrote:
My front end wobbles at all speeds .
[align=center]Now thats what I call a serious problem :D[/align]
I wish mine did.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

opps something went wrong, the top part of that message was suppose to be a quote from Whiskerfish's post earlier up.
Don't want to get sued for plagiarism

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

What kind of tire is on the front of the bike? When I first got my LTD1200, I could ride no hand for miles at any speed. I put on a new tire and it would wobble. I put on a tire that met load recomendations IE load rating and speed rating. The old tire had a little bit of life in it so, being the miser that I am and not throwing away anything, I put the old tire back on and the wobble went away. The old tire is a dulop elite II, 130/90-16. The new tire is a dunlop D404 130/90-16. there is a difference in the side walls and I think that is what caused my wobble. Try to get as much info as possible from the PO about the tires and wobble. Check the specs on the new tire plys. Like has already been said, wheel brgs, steering stem brgs, balance etc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.