Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 88-1500.I just read a thread somewheres that you can install air valves into the top plugs to add air to the front shocks. Myshocksdo not havethe valves.If i add valves would the seals beable to take the air pressure a person would add to them.Can the caps be drilled and taped right on the bike or will i have to remove them. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
Is this the thread you read?

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=3009&forum_id=1&highlight=air+forks

If so, read the reply by the wingnut. All the inner fork parts are the same (seals included) so the forks will take the pressure (I think it's 6 or 10psi max). You might be able to drill and tap in place, but some of the drill filings will end up in the fork oil and do damage.
Budegan, I always drill & tap them while on the fork tubes.. First I drain the forks,, then insert a plastic barbed fitting in the lower drain plug hole,, then put about 10psi of regulated air pressure on that lower plastic fitting. That way when the drill bit breaks through it blows the chips back out the top & none enter the fork tubes.. Same with tapping, as the tap is screwed in the light positive air pressure blows the chips up & out along the top of the tap.

Twisty

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
Budegan wrote:
Is this the thread you read?

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=3009&forum_id=1&highlight=air+forks

If so, read the reply by the wingnut. All the inner fork parts are the same (seals included) so the forks will take the pressure (I think it's 6 or 10psi max). You might be able to drill and tap in place, but some of the drill filings will end up in the fork oil and do damage.
Budegan, I always drill & tap them while on the fork tubes.. First I drain the forks,, then insert a plastic barbed fitting in the lower drain plug hole,, then put about 10psi of regulated air pressure on that lower plastic fitting. That way when the drill bit breaks through it blows the chips back out the top & none enter the fork tubes.. Same with tapping, as the tap is screwed in the light positive air pressure blows the chips up & out along the top of the tap.

Twisty

That's a good idea Twisty, but do you think you get all the filings out? It's just that it seems unlikely that you would get it all out.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
twisty wrote:

Twisty

That's a good idea Twisty, but do you think you get all the filings out? It's just that it seems unlikely that you would get it all out.
FitzAl, the idea isn't to get the metal shavings out but to keep them from entering to begin with. That positive air pressure in the tubesalong with care in how the drill is used should keep most of the crud out. The secret is to keep the drilled hole cleaned out as you go so there is very little that could fall in as you break through & that is where the air pressure comes in, it blows the chips back up & out as the drill breaks through.

Twisty

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hi Twisty. Did you find there was enough space to get the tapping tool in with the caps still in place? Well of course you did, but what I mean is, was it easy, any risk of hitting the tool off anything else? Thanks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It doesn't look like there's anything in the way to prevent a straight in access with a tap. I'd use an extension to make it a bit easier.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

BenMC wrote:
Hi Twisty. Did you find there was enough space to get the tapping tool in with the caps still in place? Well of course you did, but what I mean is, was it easy, any risk of hitting the tool off anything else? Thanks.
Ben, I had to pull the plastic center piece on the handlebars (not the wires as I just laid it back over the front of the bars).. Then it is a very straight shot to the center of the caps.

Twisty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.