Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had the wing out this weekend for a few hours and when I returned the front forks were covered in oil. I would suspect that the seals let go one one or both forks. Is this the normal way for them to go, all of a sudden? I would have expected a gradual failure.

Confidence levelupdate - after 450 Km on the bike I am starting to get comfortableriding it. :cheeky1:

Lesson learned this week - wet dirt/mud has about as much traction as bacon grease.:(

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You are correct... The forks don't usually give a warning that the seals are leaking.. However, it is unusual for both to go at the same time. Assuming it was cold that day, if the seals were borderline failure, the inner tube could have contracted enough to allow the fork oil to bleed past. I was unaware the left strut was leaking on my 86 Aspy until someone else had seen it first last spring. Bite the bullet and re-seal now. You won't regret it. Be sure to clean both shock tubes, pistons & shafts thoughorly before reassembling with new seals. If you do the job yourself, don't hang your face over the spring retainer bolts or you might lose your front teeth when they pop off... I hold an old bath towel over the bolt to act as a catch all. Always thingk "Saftey"... Good luck...

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Two forks leaking together is unusual, but that's the way sometimes. You're probably better off doing the two together even if just one leaks, it gives you the chance to put new oil in both forks while you are there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.