Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My left fork seal started leaking just before I stopped riding for the season. So that’s my first project in the Spring.

My question is about the fork tube condition. If I look at it in the sun just right, I can see some longitudinal marks on the fork tube above the dust seal where the oil seal rubs up and down on it.

They are not deep scratches, just marks. But I can catch a fingernail on one or two of them if I try really hard to do so. Does that mean my fork tube has got to be replaced or will a new seal be able to seal those small imperfections on the fork tube?

My right fork tube seems to have about the same amount of visible marks on it, but it doesn’t leak. Can't decide what to do. Should I just replace the seal and give it a try? Or do I have to replace the fork tube as well?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Hey there Wingman71,

in most cases the tube can be polished with some really fine crocus or emery cloth to smooth out the small pits.

be sure to check and replace your fork bushings since it will be all apart anyways.

There is nothing like not replacing the bushings to only have to repeat the job because the bushing caused a premature leak of the seals again.

All the best with this!

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

yes replace the bushings, if i had found this sight before i did mine i wouldnt have to do them again:gunhead: and some very fine crocas or emery cloth with some elbow grease will clean them up fine

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys!

Yes, I have ordered the seal AND the bushing! So,I'm on the right path there.

Regarding getting after the fork tube with emery cloth. Do you do that dry or do you use some oil or something on the tube when you are applying the emery cloth? I have not done that before and don't want to screw it up!

Also, I presume that it would be best to polish with a motion around the circumference of the fork tube and not back and forth parallel with the length of the tube, correct? It seems the parallelmotion might make the situation worse.

Another question: What is the actual surface treatment onthe fork tube? Is it polished/stainless steel, or is itchromed, or what exactly?

Thanks again for your advice.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

i used diesel fuel and oil mix (only becouse it was within reach and already mixed) io supposed u could use p.b. blaster or wd40 and yes not leinght wise but width wise i made a holder w 2 2x4s and cut 2 v notches in them and put it in a vice (gently)and polisheed one half and then turned it around and polished the other endthe top half needed most of it as the lower half was in the lower half of the fork hope this helps

also i think its chromed not sure but one of the gurus will answer that

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

on my 83 , i caught a rock on the fork tube and scored it . yeah it took out the seal . i used emery cloth very find to polish things back smooth . then put in never leak seals on both sides . i used them when i was out running around the dersert and they worked great . so as of today no leaks on my 83 . they can be gotten from dennis kirk cycle shop . they run me about 43 bucks for both sides .with a gareentee to never leak . oh ---i also think they are polished steel tubes.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I believe the forks are chromed. You can have little scratches, but bigger pits can't be polished and ultimately end the life of the fork tubes earlier. In other words, if the black and rust come through holes in the chrome, the fork tube is toast. In any case, new or use tubes can be had easily and cheap too.

It doesn't sound like your tubes are bad. Unlike some of the earlier Honda s, the Goldwing uses a scraper above the fork seal instead of a rubber boot that covers the whole tube. To me, the scraper allows more dirt to scratch and end the fork seal life earlier.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I ended up gouging the tube while replacing my seals . I filed it down and smoothed everything up then realized that this was at a section of the fork that the seal wilkl never touch.

:shock:

My forks were leaking due to the rust from the circlip eating at the rubber.

I gues sthe dust caps block debris but allowed water to enter and sit.

I grabbe a length of neoprened( body suit material) and made a cover to go over the dust caps.

Hope this helps keep the water out.

If one is leaking the opther is on the way out so allow yourself time to replace both fork seals.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

That is a good point; if the scratches or corrosion don't touch the seal, no problem. But consider how far the tube goes down.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

yep!!.....left one will leak from sitting...mine did that till i rode it around for a while again and they stopped leaking....had done the seals 1 yr prior and was pissed...my tubes are perfect shape too!!....but make sure you got fluid in em and not leaking cause there dry...use center stand much....use heavier oil and you might get less leak...you can try to polish em but this usually means new tube time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.