Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the tire on my 1500 and noticed a small gap between the lower leg to the speedometer housing,looks to be 0.030,
First thing I thought was bent fork ,so I loosened both upper legs and turned them 360 deg but the gap never changed so it appears the fork isn’t bent but the gap is still there.
The left fork seal was showing signs of oil passing so I replaced the seal,Last time I had the front tire off I put the axel through,tightened the pinch bolts on the left side and tightened up the axel nut ,if the gap was there then by tightning the axel nut ,the gap would have been taken out but put a bind on the fork and maybe causing the seal to be kinda off center?
I rode it a few days but today I loosened everything up rotated the upper legs again and no signs of the gap changing so I put the wheel on tightened the axel nut to set it against the wheel ,then tightened the left pinch bolts with the small gap still in,not knowing IF there’s supposed to be a gap there it’s all back together,seems ok,
Does anyone know if that gap is supposed to be there?

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Doesn't the larger part of the axle tighten up against the speedo drive? The position of the fork leg is slightly moveable to adjust the clearance of the rotor in the caliper bracket.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,that may be,that’s the way it’s is now and probably I had it wrong before.Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts