Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The Honda service manual I bought for my '83 only lists the quantities for an 80 to an 82. How much fork oil does an 83 use. They say to use ATF, but don't specify what type. Does the type of ATF matter? What weight of real fork oil would be the best for the forks and shocks? THANKS

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I don't have my maual with me, but when I went to progressive spring I think the tell you to use 20 weigth fork oil. I can look up the amount later for you..

You also might want to find a syringe with a plastic tube to inject the oil into the forks cap through the air hose fitting instead of taking the fork caps off. They are not fun to put back on.

·
Registered
462 Posts
imported post

Are fork seals a tough replacement? Better left to mechanics?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

According to my '83 shop manual....

270cc (9.1 oz) after draining

290cc (9.8 oz) after dissasembly

385cc in rear shocks

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

fgh wrote:
They say to use ATF, but don't specify what type. Does the type of ATF matter? What weight of real fork oil would be the best for the forks and shocks?
Fgh, basically most ATF is about the same viscosity. There is no real API viscosity rating on ATF but it works out pretty close to 10 W motor oil at room temperature.

A good fork oil to use in the older Wings is a 15 weight fork (specific)oil as that adds slightly more rebound dampening than ATF but still allows a decent ride in cooler weather.

As far as the rear shocks? Possibly a 15 weight fork oil, or if you are running lightly loaded maybe stay with the ATF in the rear shocks.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Hi fgh. Better to get graded ATF as fork oil. There's too much variation in ungraded ATF and you just can't rely on it being the weight you need. At least if you buy graded 15w fork oil you will know it is 15w. I put car ATF in my old Suzuki Cavalcade years ago and the forks were like a rock. Drained it and put in 15w fork oil and that was my problem solved. :waving:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

The toughest thing about the fork seal replacement was getting the snap ring out. Then for me I put the seals in upside down. The second time around was much easier. Get a piece of pvc pipe as a punch to seat the seals....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
As far as the rear shocks? Possibly a 15 weight fork oil, or if you are running lightly loaded maybe stay with the ATF in the rear shocks.

Twisty
Progressive calls for ATF in their air shocks.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

[align=left]With Progressive front springs have tried Bell 15 and 20fork oil. 20 givesbetter ride IMO. You don't have to remove thespring capsto change the oil.Fill the left fork by removing the air fitting from compressor (on top of springcap) Easy method for filling the right fork (cap with only horizontal air line fitting).1. Measure out 270cc or 290cc into a small container.2. Thread aquarium air pump tubing into the drain fitting, and use a vaccumpumpontheleftside 3. Suck up the oil into shock and your done. [/align]

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I seem to recall that when changing to Progressive Springs, they do notgive a specific amount of ATF to put in the tubes, instead they give a measurement down from the top of the tube with the spring installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.