Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 GL1200 manual calls for ATF. Is that what everybody is using for fork oil?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
Seems to work just as well as fork oil.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
What I used first time in the '95, then after I installed Progressive Suspension #11-1122 springs, I tried 20 wt. Belray fork oil, was too stiff IMHO,

so I went back to red ATF … worked great.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Yup. Works great. You can use fork oil if you want, a thicker version will stiffen the forks, a thinner will soften it. To a point. I think ATF is around a 7W equivalent?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I found my unused clymers manual and it says Dexron ATF or 10 wt. I think I'll just get some good synthetic ATF. Thanks

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
Again...fork oil is not what stiffens the fork. That is the job of the spring. The shock absorber dampens the rebound of the spring. That rebound is controlled by the oil and the viscosity of that oil controls the dampening rate. Heavier oil is used to dampen heavier (springier) springs. That's why Honda recommends ATF with a viscosity of around 7w for stock springs and Progressive suggests you use 15w with their springs.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Progressive recommended starting with 15 wt.

Stiffer springs stiffen the fork's ability to support load, but thicker fork fluid / oil / etc stiffens the damping characteristics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts