Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What symptoms would one notice when a fork(s) need to be overhauled? With my 81 GL1100 when I grab one of the handlebar grips - right or left it does not matter - and move it up and down quickly (like I am turning right and left very quickly) then stop, the front tire continues to move back and fort a few times before stopping. There is play in there that does not seem right. This is difficult to explain, but it is driving me crazy. Is there something in the forks that wears possibly due to poor maintenance that would cause this? Could it be low fork oil causing excessive play? Could it be the weight of the fairing?

Any thoughts appreciated.

JM Wolfe

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I am not sure what you are describing. Could be worn or loose steering head bearings or wheel bearings. What do you mean by the tire keeps moving??

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Quick, before Redwing jumps on this, fill out your profile so we know where you're from.

Now, DON'T ride your bike anymore until you figure out where the looseness is. Your front wheel shouldn't move back and forth after you shake the "wheel". You've got bad bearings, loose forks, or something that is creating the wobble.

hobie

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I am in North Royalton, Ohio.

I am having a mechanic check it out for m tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wolfej1 wrote:
I am in North Royalton, Ohio.

I am having a mechanic check it out for m tomorrow.

Thanks
Sounds like loose fork clamps. Not a good idea to ride it until the problem is found.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.