Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to remove the forks to do seals and install Progressive springs. How difficult is it to disassemble the air connections at top of forks. Do I need to remove fairing?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
imported post

Hi Lieutenant,
You don't have to worry about the air connections. The fork tube just slides out. You don't have to remove the fairing but the 4 allen bolts on the lower clamps are hard to get to. (not much room) I cut down a 6mm allen wrench to make a special tool just for the forks.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Unless you just want to.....you don't have to remove the forks from the bike. I changed them on my 1200 LTD and my 1500 SE with them still on the bike. The hardest part was getting the seal back in. But I cut in half a piece of PVC pipe to use as a slide hammer to set the seal.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

seals are pretty easy to damage and a little hard to drive in place. the upper bushing is even harder to set in place.

the air connection remains in place. to get enough room to access the allen bolts you need to take the false tank off. then you just undo three allen bolts of each side, you now slide the forks down a bit and remove a retainer ring and then you can finally drop them off the bike.

remember, before losening the allen bolts, you should remove or lose the lower allen bolt at the end of the leg, the damper rod bolt. and then lose the spring cap. saves enough time after you got the forks off the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.