Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

Can anyone recommend replacement springs for the front forks of an '88 GL1500?

Also, are there any "stabilizer bars" (not sure if that's the right word) that I could put on to help firm up my forks and front end stability?

Thanks in advance friends!

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The 11-1152 springs from Progressive Suspension are quite popular, and there are a few companies that manufacture 'Fork Braces' to augument the bridge at the top of the fork sliders helping to reduce fork bowing and differntial slider behaviors...

A good first step would be to drain and refil your fork oil if it's more than 2-years old (or change to a higher viscosity fork oil than you added last time, if you're looking to 'firm-up').

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Progressive (brand name) springs and shocks are good and worth the money. They're the only brand I buy. Ridden them many miles and am happy with them. Front end brace? I never made it past a 1200 STD so I don't know. Does the 1500 have a fork brace? (large aluminum bridge that goes over the fender. Ties the forks together.)

If your bike doesn't have one, get one. You won't be dissappointed. Otherwise, could you be referring to a hydraulic steering damper like the ones used on British bikes? Those are good too but they are mainly used to eliminate high speed wobble.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Before you go spending $$ on fork springs and a super brace, it may be as simple as your steering head bearings needing re torqued, changing out your fork oil and installing a new tire on the front, if it's worn and showing signs of cupping. Those three items(or anyone of them, or a combination) can contribute to poor performance in your front end, especially the tire/steering head bearings if you are experiencing a 'wobble' in the front end. By all means, check the free length of your front springs to see if they are sagged below their service limits (382.8mm)

Best place to get the above parts is at Cyclemax and shop around at different sites for the tire. I have found that Jake Wilson.com / Rocky Mountain ATVMC .com (sister stores) are about the cheapest place for Dunlop E3s.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

Mark1961 wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone recommend replacement springs for the front forks of an '88 GL1500?

Also, are there any "stabilizer bars" (not sure if that's the right word) that I could put on to help firm up my forks and front end stability?

Thanks in advance friends!

Hey Mark,

Some of these guys who posted helped me in my own fork rebuild, I actually had a leaky seal so it necessitated the change of fluid etc..., depending on the level of oil you can stiffen up things without having to swap springs, but there are some folks who really like their progressives, good luck to ya :)!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks to all! What viscocity should I use for the fork oil? (I live in the Midwest and don't ride in the wintertime!)

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

I run trusty automatic transmission fluid and it's great, others will chime in with other fluid options...

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

FWIW, I just changed fork fluid and used 10 wgt-way too squishy until I added an extra 2 oz. Gonna change to 15 wgt today as I'm afraid too much fluid, even of the lighter viscosity, will put too much pressure on the seals

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

I just changed the fork oil in mine a few weeks ago. I refilled it with ATF and it feels good to me. I like the ride with it in there.

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

I bought my 88 used with under 10k miles on it…. one of the first things I did after riding it home from San Diego to Northern California was put the Progressive springs in the front forks. The ride home convinced me that the front forks were lacking. The springs firmed up the ride and made the handling much for defined….. it was almost a God send… the comparison was that dramatic. I first started out with the recommeded 15wt fork oil but I thought it was too hard and changed it to 10wt. I liked the feel much better but that's just my humble opinion.

Your steering head bearings might be loose… could be worn out. If you don't know how to check them put the bike on the center stand, prop up the front end (I use a little scissor jack) so the front wheel is off the ground. Grasp the front wheel axle area (helps to remove the disc covers) and try to rock the front end front to back. If you feel play it's probably the steering bearings loose.

To check if the bearings are worn….
with the front end still off the ground gently move the handlebars slightly off center. If you feel a 'detent' as the bars rotate back and forth through the center line the bearings are worn out.

Hope this helps…..

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

pm sent.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Cyclemax has an 8% off sale on right now. I just ordered a set of Progressive springs from them for my GL1500. Best deal (by far) I found on the 'net.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Transmission fluid is something like 7 W. Hard to tell since it is not labeled on the container. I put 15 W fork oil in mine last change.
Gumbyred

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.