Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
gl1200
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gl1200 fork tubes are running uneven. Left fork tubes appears to be collapsed more than right tube. I thought it might low oil so I drained and replaced oil. I also replaced seal on right fork since it was leaking. I didn't take caps off to refill, I used a vacuum pump to pulled new oil in through drain holes in the anti dive. On the left side oil went in fast and the right side oil would go back in until I turned anti dive setting to one. Does anyone know why fork tubes would be setting At different heights. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Only thing i know is weaker spring on one side or fork tubes are at different levels in triple tree.
Or different spacers.

Reactions: tpd1749

·
Registered
gl1200
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only thing i know is weaker spring on one side or fork tubes are at different levels in triple tree.
Or different spacers.
Fork tubes are are the same in triple tree I checked that.
Looks like I'm going to have to replace springs.
Any one reading this know where would be good place to get progressive springs I keep reading about in forums.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

·
Administrator
28,806 Posts
I suspect the oil lock piece at the bottom of the shorter fork may be missing. #4 in the picture.
Font Parallel Auto part Circle Engineering

Reactions: Indianawantsme

·
Registered
gl1200
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspect the oil lock piece at the bottom of the shorter fork may be missing. #4 in the picture. View attachment 329589
I've never had the left tube taken apart. I've taken the right side apart twice to replace the oil seal. My thought is the right keeps blowing seal because is toting more of the load on that side. Guess I will have to take it apart to see if anything is broken or missing inside. I'm at least the third owner and have no idea if anyone else has had them apart

·
Administrator
28,806 Posts
It's a good bet they have been apart before.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If the axle is done up tight, it holds the fork sliders together as a unit. (Even more so with a fork brace) The forks don't move independently. In fact many bikes have big differences between functions on the left and right fork. You could take the spring out of one side and they would still move together.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
My gl1200 fork tubes are running uneven. Left fork tubes appears to be collapsed more than right tube. I thought it might low oil so I drained and replaced oil. I also replaced seal on right fork since it was leaking. I didn't take caps off to refill, I used a vacuum pump to pulled new oil in through drain holes in the anti dive. On the left side oil went in fast and the right side oil would go back in until I turned anti dive setting to one. Does anyone know why fork tubes would be setting At different heights. Any help would be appreciated.
How are you possibly seeing that one fork is running unevenly unless something is noticeably bent? Is the bike on the center stand on a level surface? Are you looking at it from the front or the rider’s position? How are you measuring this? A picture would be worth a thousand words. Your description of the problem doesn’t make sense. As a Certified Honda Technician and former and current GoldWing owner, if the fork tubes are fixed evenly in the top and bottom clamps and the front wheel and axle are installed correctly, they make a rectangle that make the forks work in parallel. There is some slight flexing going on, but that is not really perceptible with the human eye and the fork brace that is part of that setup minimizes that flex even more. Perhaps your description of the problem could be stated differently and, as mentioned, a picture could be invaluable to the conversation.

·
Registered
gl1200
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How are you possibly seeing that one fork is running unevenly unless something is noticeably bent? Is the bike on the center stand on a level surface? Are you looking at it from the front or the rider’s position? How are you measuring this? A picture would be worth a thousand words. Your description of the problem doesn’t make sense. As a Certified Honda Technician and former and current GoldWing owner, if the fork tubes are fixed evenly in the top and bottom clamps and the front wheel and axle are installed correctly, they make a rectangle that make the forks work in parallel. There is some slight flexing going on, but that is not really perceptible with the human eye and the fork brace that is part of that setup minimizes that flex even more. Perhaps your description of the problem could be stated differently and, as mentioned, a picture could be invaluable to the conversation.
I figured out my problem yesterday, and I have to say I feel like an idiot on this one. I've been looking at it from the rider position. I had my wife measure the distance from bottom clamp in triple tree to top of bottom tube with me on bike and it was same distance. What I have been seeing is an optical allusion I guess. I even had her measure it after braking with front brake only and distance was same on both sides, even though it looks different to me looking down through triple tree. Like I said I feel like an idiot on this one.

·
Administrator
28,806 Posts
I figured out my problem yesterday, and I have to say I feel like an idiot on this one. I've been looking at it from the rider position. I had my wife measure the distance from bottom clamp in triple tree to top of bottom tube with me on bike and it was same distance. What I have been seeing is an optical allusion I guess. I even had her measure it after braking with front brake only and distance was same on both sides, even though it looks different to me looking down through triple tree. Like I said I feel like an idiot on this one.
I assumed you had the wheel, axle and fender off when you saw them different lengths, pretty much impossible with it all assembled.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Glad you figured it out. I’ve driven myself crazy with those optical illusions before, but when common sense takes over (measurements, basic physics, etc.) I’ve always been relieved. I had an ‘84 Aspencade. I loved that bike! It was the best handling of all my GoldWings with the exception of my 1800.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,929 Posts
As I read this thread I was a scratchin my head as if I had fleas!!!! Cuz it made no sense to me either. Glad you got it figured out even at the cost of a little bit of yer ego!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts