Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?

#1---How do I check the fluid in my forks?

#2---How do I drain the fluid?

#3--What weight oil do I use in the forks?

#4--What is the size of the neck stem?

Thank you.

:band:

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I don't think you can check the fluid without draining it. There are a lot of posts on the forum about changing fork oil. You will find all the info if you use the forum search.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I did this on my shadow, but haven't done it on my wing yet. According to my clymer book, bleed the air pressure off at the valve stem on top of the right fork, pop the top caps on the fork (be careful, those things are like shot guns), drain the fluid out the bottom (there should be a drain screw at the bottom of the fork, but I recomend getting new washers before pulling them), drain all the fluid and refill with aprox. 323cc (10.9 oz) of good old fashion Dexron ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

Hope that helps :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

You use TRANSMISSION fluid in the forks????
I know, I had the same reaction, I even had the same reaction when I found out you're supose to use ATF in gear driven transfer cases too, but the answer to both is yes. I guess you could use overpriced fork oil, but if the book says Dexron, I use Dexron.

I have no clue about the neck stem though, sounds like a question for one of the super guru's, hopefully one will be along soon for ya.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

The 1200's had 2 anti-dive valves, one on each fork?

Drain old out, use a mity-vac to pull vacuum thru the fork air valves (valve cores emoved). Don't remember how much per fork, but 325 cc's comes to mind, but check to make sure.
Yes, ATF in both forks.
Why the question on the steering stem nut? Should not be playing with this with out a manual.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the info.

But I wasn't asking about the stem nut---I was curious about the size of the stem itself.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

ATF is the same as fork fluid, as well as power steering fluid, and a lot of other things. it is basically 10w hydraulic oil. I have not touched my forks yet, due to so many other issues, but I intend to go with some heavier oil to help eliminate fork dive. I have an LTD, and the forks will no longer hold air. The TRAC is already set on #4, and doesn't seem to do anything. The forks are pure mush. I'm hoping heavier oil will help.

If your forks are working properly, ATF is the way to go. Use any kind but Type F.

Actually, if you can find it, the old early '60s Type A Suffix A made excellent fork fluid. I have found it at Loves truck stops. Of course with no more than you need, if you have a motorcycle accessory store nearby (I live next to a Cycle Gear) you can just by fork fluid there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.