Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know I spotted it somewhere but can't find it now? I bottomed out the front end and blow the seal on the left side (much fluid). I saw atopic where the front air shock were rebuilt. could someone assist me in finding this info?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's really a fairly simple straight forward job. Easiest way to do it is to leave the fork tubes in the bike. Put the bike on the centerstand jack up the front of the engine to get the front wheel off the groudn , remove the front wheel, caliper and fender, and pry out the dust seal at the top of the lower slider. Drain the oil from the fork. Using a 90 degree internal snap ring plier after taping or wrapping the fork tube to protect the tube from a scratch from the pliers remove the snap ring. Remove the Allen bolt from the underside of the fork slider inside the wheel axle bolt hole. Put a piece of wood or a couple layers of cardboard under the lowers so they won't hit the floor and screw the clamp nuts back on to protect the stud threads. Use the lower like a slide hammer to pull the old seal and bushing out. Push the lower up as far as it will go and yank it down. A few repeats will pop out the seal and the upper bushing. Inspect the bushing too, if it's worn down replace it along with the seal.

The only trick to putting things back together is getting the new seal and bushingseated.Get a piece of black 1 1/2" ABS pipe, cut it about ten inches long and then split it lengthwise. Put two or three hose clamps on it to hold the two halves together and slip it up the fork tube as far as it will go. Slide the snap ring, back up ring and seal up behind the ABS pipe and secure it to stay there. Slip the new or old bushing up the fork tube, slide the fork lower back up the fork tube after wiping fork oil on the tube and reinstall the Allen bolt. Block up the lower end of the lower to keep it up on the fork tube. Using the piece of ABS pipe like a slide hammer drive the bushing home in the fork tube. Remove the hose clamps and the ABS pipe, hand start the seal in the fork lower, drop the backup ring onto the seal and replace the ABS pipe. Using it as a slide hammer against the backup ringseat the seal flush, remove theABS pipe, drop the snap ring down, using the snap ring plier get the ring started in the fork and use theABS pipe once again todrive down the ring and seatit. Make sure it's fully seated in the groove. Remove the ABS.

When installing the snap ring look at it's edges carefully. The ring is a stamped part and will have one edge more rounded than the other. Install the ring with the sharpest edge upward that will give more holding strength against blowing out a seal.

I'm working from a shaky memory but have resealed all model 'Wing forks except the 1800 and have found the above method works well on all other models. I may have omitted a step but the above is a pretty good description of the job. Plan on four to six hours the first time and half that after you have it down.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
It's really a fairly simple straight forward job. Easiest way to do it is to leave the fork tubes in the bike. Put the bike on the centerstand jack up the front of the engine to get the front wheel off the groudn , remove the front wheel, caliper and fender, and pry out the dust seal at the top of the lower slider. Drain the oil from the fork. Using a 90 degree internal snap ring plier after taping or wrapping the fork tube to protect the tube from a scratch from the pliers remove the snap ring. Remove the Allen bolt from the underside of the fork slider inside the wheel axle bolt hole. Put a piece of wood or a couple layers of cardboard under the lowers so they won't hit the floor and screw the clamp nuts back on to protect the stud threads. Use the lower like a slide hammer to pull the old seal and bushing out. Push the lower up as far as it will go and yank it down. A few repeats will pop out the seal and the upper bushing. Inspect the bushing too, if it's worn down replace it along with the seal.

The only trick to putting things back together is getting the new seal and bushingseated.Get a piece of black 1 1/2" ABS pipe, cut it about ten inches long and then split it lengthwise. Put two or three hose clamps on it to hold the two halves together and slip it up the fork tube as far as it will go. Slide the snap ring, back up ring and seal up behind the ABS pipe and secure it to stay there. Slip the new or old bushing up the fork tube, slide the fork lower back up the fork tube after wiping fork oil on the tube and reinstall the Allen bolt. Block up the lower end of the lower to keep it up on the fork tube. Using the piece of ABS pipe like a slide hammer drive the bushing home in the fork tube. Remove the hose clamps and the ABS pipe, hand start the seal in the fork lower, drop the backup ring onto the seal and replace the ABS pipe. Using it as a slide hammer against the backup ringseat the seal flush, remove theABS pipe, drop the snap ring down, using the snap ring plier get the ring started in the fork and use theABS pipe once again todrive down the ring and seatit. Make sure it's fully seated in the groove. Remove the ABS.

When installing the snap ring look at it's edges carefully. The ring is a stamped part and will have one edge more rounded than the other. Install the ring with the sharpest edge upward that will give more holding strength against blowing out a seal.

I'm working from a shaky memory but have resealed all model 'Wing forks except the 1800 and have found the above method works well on all other models. I may have omitted a step but the above is a pretty good description of the job. Plan on four to six hours the first time and half that after you have it down.
Paul. I read this very carefully and I don't think you missed anything. I used the exact same method to do my left seal replacement and it worked great! You're right about the time involved for the first time also.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the great info. I'll get this done my next day off and let ya know how it went. :11brown:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Alrighty then no wonder I had a seal problem om those forks. Got them off with out a hitch, right side shot(figured it would be). Pulled left side off and my parts don't match? Idiots. Just got my order from the shop today gonna put together (correctly with matching parts).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.