Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 1500 SE and the front forks act like they are bound up while riding. If I bounce them while sitting they act perfect. But hitting bumps in the road it is like the shocks do not move at all. Air pressure has been tried from zero to 6 lbs. Bearings are at spec and front tire is at 40 lbs. pressure which is high but this is what has been recommended on the forum and it does handle much better there than at the specified pressure. Fork oil has also been changed and the proper amount added back in. Factory oil was used.

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
Try changing the anti-dive setting.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you run me through that real quick? I seem to remember checking that a few years back. It has been 4 years since I have been riding due to medical issues and I remember having this issue before. Now that you mention the anti-dive I do remember something about that and I am pretty sure I checked it out but I would like to check it again. Back then I "Thought" I had the brakes straightened out but today they were just not there and I bled a ton of air out of them and now the pedal is hard as a rock. So like the old saying goes, thought he fart and **** himself.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
963 Posts
I just replaced 7 yr old front Dunlop E3's with new E4's this summer. The E3's still had plenty of good tread, but I didn't want to be on 7 yr old tires going cross-country with a camper trailer. The new tires made a huge difference in how hard the front of the 1500 felt hitting little cracks in the road etc.

Still isn't quite as smooth as my 1100's front end on the same piece of road. Hadn't heard of Anti-dive settings making a difference on this. Dave, could you please elaborate on this? The front suspension is otherwise fine on the 1500, just feels too harsh on small pavement defects.

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
Hadn't heard of Anti-dive settings making a difference on this. Dave, could you please elaborate on this?
I was remembering something from my 83 1100. I know this is not supposed to have any effect but IIRC one of the anti-dives would get stuck and cause the fork to stiffen up, turning the adjuster would make it release. Not sure if a 1500 would do the same but it was my only idea.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I was remembering something from my 83 1100. I know this is not supposed to have any effect but IIRC one of the anti-dives would get stuck and cause the fork to stiffen up, turning the adjuster would make it release. Not sure if a 1500 would do the same but it was my only idea.
The GL1500 does not have an adjustment for the anti-dive like the 1200 I used to have did. As far as I know, they are not adjustable.

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
Yup. No adjustment on the 1500.

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
The GL1500 does not have an adjustment for the anti-dive like the 1200 I used to have did. As far as I know, they are not adjustable.
OK the forget that. :sick:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember now that there was something about checking the valves of the antidive to make sure they were working. I do remember vaguely doing that but apparently it was all ok since I never replaced anything. All the info would have been on this forum but it would have been at least 4 years ago and maybe more.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I have a 98 1500 SE and the front forks act like they are bound up while riding. If I bounce them while sitting they act perfect. But hitting bumps in the road it is like the shocks do not move at all. Air pressure has been tried from zero to 6 lbs. Bearings are at spec and front tire is at 40 lbs. pressure which is high but this is what has been recommended on the forum and it does handle much better there than at the specified pressure. Fork oil has also been changed and the proper amount added back in. Factory oil was used.
i changed the fork oil on my 95 a long time ago and put a little too much in them. needless to say it road like a rock. i drained some out and it solved the problem , just a thought

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Here is a great description of how to get the correct amount of fluid in the forks if you have the schrader valves in your forks (which you do with the 98 SE). If it still seems stiff with this amount of fluid, you can either replace the fluid with a lower viscosity or drain out a few ounces from each fork and try it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'85 gl1200
57 Posts
Can you run me through that real quick? I seem to remember checking that a few years back. It has been 4 years since I have been riding due to medical issues and I remember having this issue before. Now that you mention the anti-dive I do remember something about that and I am pretty sure I checked it out but I would like to check it again. Back then I "Thought" I had the brakes straightened out but today they were just not there and I bled a ton of air out of them and now the pedal is hard as a rock. So like the old saying goes, thought he fart and **** himself.
wow, I rode 1500 for 15 years and never knew about an anti-dive adjustment. I know there is one at the bottom of the forks on the 1200s. I want to know about that, too.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
The GL1500 does not have any adjustment for the anti-dive forks. The GL1200 LTD I used to have did have a screwdriver adjustment at the bottom of the forks for the anti-dive. I don't know if all the 1200s had that adjustment or not but the Limited Edition did. My guess is the Aspencade also had it but not the Interstate.

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts
The GL1500 does not have any adjustment for the anti-dive forks. The GL1200 LTD I used to have did have a screwdriver adjustment at the bottom of the forks for the anti-dive. I don't know if all the 1200s had that adjustment or not but the Limited Edition did. My guess is the Aspencade also had it but not the Interstate.
The 83 1100 also had adjustments on the anti-dive.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As soon as I have time I am going to do the checks on the fork oil in the procedure shown by Bellboy above in post #12. I will let you know how that works out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts