Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been having problems with the left front shock absorber, on my 2010 model Goldwing (ABS), The oil seal keeps failing. I have replaced it three times, before suspecting a bent shaft. So I bought a complete new left shock and again within a month the seal failed. Have had no problem with the right one. I live in Nigeria, and yes the roads are bad, with the occasional sneaky pot hole. I am a hard rider, and weave in and out of traffic (that's allowed here), with a lot of hard braking. Has anyone else had this problem ? Is there a solution (perhaps, different seal, springs, complete heavy duty shock unit etc). Because every time in leaks, the air flow brings the fluid up through the stearing column, on to me and the bike. Nasty

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

It is unusual for the right one to leak, the left side is common to leak because of the anti-dive sticking causing too much pressure on it.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Maybe your fork fluid level is too high(?)

Too much fork fluid can blow your seals.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Also double check that all the parts are there and installed correctly and in the right order. My left fork was leaking and when I opened it up, one of the seals was installed incorrectly and that was done at the dealership!!!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

sorry its the left not the right. Tell me more about this anti -dive thing on the left shock, is there any solution

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'll check, sorry I made a mistake in the original post it was the left not the right. Its unlikely that both the one that came with the bike and the new one where both wrongly assembled at the factory but i'll check when i open it next. Well it seems odd that all this is going on with the left shock only

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Anti-dive, no doubt about it. The "Goldwing workshop" part of the site has a fix for that problem, by Paul Hopewell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.