Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Guys ,

What is the best way that you have found to get the res. off the front master cyl. ? I've tried pulling ,twisting & pulling , light prying , and this sucker won't come off. The Last Thing I want to do, is to have to find another one.

What's the trick ? !! Thanks for any advice .

worknfool

81 GL1100 standard

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Did the same thing a week ago. It is pressed in with a big oring. I finally put mine in a vise. Went around with a flat ended drift. Turning the resivor end sideways. Metal in vise and tapped the resivor off. I was afraid it was going to break, I was tapping it that hard. But once the oring came out of the channel it was fine. I would suggest to replace the oring after the struggle.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

THANKS FOR THE ANSWER GHOST RIDER.

I JUSTWASN'T SUREHOW RESILIENT THOSE PLASTIC JUGS WERE. I'VE BEEN WRENCHING A LONG TIME ......BUT THIS IS MY FIRST "WING" TO EVER TRY TO BRING BACK TO LIFE AND SOME OF THESE PARTS ARE A "LITTLE HARDER TO FIND" (at a reasonable price)THANANYOTHER CAR ,TRUCK OR TRACTOR PARTS THAT I EVER WORKED ON !

thanks again
worknfool

81 GL 1100 standard

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

I did mine recently & was sure I was going to break something!

I eventually rotated the plastic reservoir through 90° & used "huge" screwdrivers as levers. It came out then!!
No damage was done & the reservoir was not permanently deformed. It had some scratches on its base but it is the large "O" ring that does the sealing.

There was a point in the operation when I really thought I would not get it off, or if I did I would break it. It's very tough.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

you can just about build a whole bike from parts ,if you check out Ebay. lots of old stuff.,,

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've used a large set of channel locks and a piece of non-skid tape. Wrap the nonskid around the reservoir and set the channel locks to it and it twists right out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.