Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello. while i can get the master cylinder to arrive. which is gonna take a long time in this month. i was wondering how many chances i have of getting the leak to stop just by dissembling and cleaning it up. it leaks a little once in a while just enough to get a couple of drops to slide on the lever getting my fingers wet on fluid. it aint droping on the bodywork.

so should i try or not?. is there any oring i could be able to get locally or everything must be replaced :(? the breaking is good but is just a little annoying to get my fingers wet

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

looking at the exploded diagram there only seems to be an o ring seal.

Your looking at taking off the master cylinder which means removing the throttle and disconnecting the banjo bolt that holds on the front brake line. also disconnect the front brake shitch.

Once all off the top comes off the master cylinder and all is held by the four screws. Clean all the bits with a rag as you take them apart. If your lucky it is only the o ring seal which you could replace with a suitable sized one from local supplies.

If your unlucky then its the piston in the body of the master cylinder which is sorted by a kit usually.

The last possible source would be the clear bit of the reseviour. They crack with age but a freely available at the moment.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

The sight glass on my 1200 clutch master cylinder got to leaking just enough that over time I had to fill it up.

Went to the local dealer and they said it wasn't available anymore but they could get me a complete assembly for about $300.00. :baffled:

I wont repeat what I said there...(Family Forum ;))

I fabricated one out of clear plexiglass, took a little time to get it a perfect fit, but one I had it, just a touch of epoxy on a tooth pick around the edges and it works fine.

Takes a little bit of hand sanding on a wet stone for sharping knives to finally get the fit right. Sand a little and try it, repeat as much as necessary.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Teacher had a leaking sight glass on a master cylinder that he resealed. I don't remember what he ended up using but whatever it was it worked for him. Drop a PM to Teacher or do a search on the forum and you should be able to find it.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

This doesn't really apply to William's problem, but the subject was brought up.

The front brake master cylinder on my 1984 GL1200 was leaking brake fluidthrough the glass and I need a fix. I knew what ever type of sealant I used brake fluid would brake it down. So I decided to experiment with super glue.Ifirst applied a spot of super glue on a piece of sheet metal and let it dry over night. ThenI put some brake fluid on top of it and letsit for a couple of hours. It didn't brake itdown!I then lowered the level of fluid in the MC then with the cap on and sealed I loosen the bolts that hold it on the handle bars and laid it on its' side with the glass up. I let it dry out overnight and then took a hair dryer to it. I cleaned it with a brass brush around the edges. I then applied the super glue and spread it out added a little more so all was even the the case. It took about 4 hours for it to dry then I reapplied. Let that dry completely then sealed it with clear coat. The patch has be in place for about 10 hours with no leak. It worked for me, super glue, package of 4 at wal mart ,$1.49 go figure.

BTW: super glue drys clear so I was able to still use the glass.

~teacher~~~

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks, the sight glass is not the problem. it was already repaired by the PO, anyway the leak is coming form the cylinder area

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think the only way to get a leak like that stopped would be a rebuild kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.