Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello friends :waving:

I was finally able to repair my motorcycle and everything seems to work fine except for a funnynoise coming from the front of the motorcycle at around 80km/hr (55mph) and up. The noise is similar to a computer fan seizing-up (whinny rotating sound). The bike runs nice and the noise is constant and is not affected by reducing or augmenting speed. The noise will however die when the bike gets around 50km/hour.

I know that my cooling fan is not the problem since mine is manually operated and can be activated or shut off without reducing the noise.

I did notice however that the problem seems to come when it is cold outside...could this be my impeller?

Thanks

Gilles

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hello Midnight Frog, any chance you could give a little more detail on your bike?

Like, does it have rotor covers, stuck brake calipers, looseness in the front wheel bearings, is the speedometer drive properly lubricated, etc.?

Try raising your front wheel off the ground and rotating the tire by hand and listen carefully for any sounds and let us know if you hear anything.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If all else fails, you can start using masking tape and taping over seams and things on the fairing and fender. It's possible it's wind whistling through something. You could stuff some newspaper or something around the forks in the fairing to see if it's something there.

If it were the impeller it should change with rpm. Radiator and gas cap on solidly? Does it still do it with your helmet off? Don't laugh and don't ask!

BTW I think 80km is closer to a bit less than 50MPH. At least according to my rule of thumb, mph x .6 = kph.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Midnight Frog wrote:
I was finally able to repair my motorcycle and everything seems to work fine except for a funnynoise coming from the front of the motorcycle at around 80km/hr (55mph) and up. The noise is similar to a computer fan seizing-up (whinny rotating sound). The bike runs nice and the noise is constant and is not affected by reducing or augmenting speed. The noise will however die when the bike gets around 50km/hour.

I know that my cooling fan is not the problem since mine is manually operated and can be activated or shut off without reducing the noise.

I did notice however that the problem seems to come when it is cold outside...could this be my impeler?
Gilles, a little more information (actually investigation) on your part would really help us help you track your problem down.

You say:
The bike runs nice and the noise is constant and is not affected by reducing or augmenting speed.
That usually points to a wind noise problem but could also be a partially dragging front brake.
I did notice however that the problem seems to come when it is cold outside...could this be my impeler?
Probably not, an impeller noise would change with engine RPM.

Do a few tests for us & we can then get real close to your problem.

First:, run the bike speed a fair amount over the 55 mph & up, then pull the clutch in & coast back through the offending road speed. Is the noise still there? If so it isn't engine related.

Try applying the front brakes lightly when the problem occurs. If the noise changes or quits you probably have a dragging front brake.

Try riding both INTO & AGAINST the prevailing wind. If the speed that the noise comes in is lower going into the wind your problem is probably a wind whistle or air speed induced problem. If so look for loose trim, gap at the windshield, etc.

Is it possible the noise you hear is coming from your radio speakers? If so suspectoxidised brass contacts on the back of the radio.Try removing the radio then test ride the bike.

If you have a friend with a quiet bike have him ride along beside you & listen for the noise's origin or area.

If you can pinpoint the area that the noise is coming from a little closer for us we can probably help you a little more.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the reply...

The bike is a 1984 GL1200 Interstate with no front rotor covers. I have recently changedthe leftrotor and a put on a new tire. I have verified the front bearings and they were ok. As for the speedometer assembly, I didi not lubricate it. However the noise does not vary in sound if I speed up over 80km/h. I also did the stationnary verification with the wheel raised and turned by hand and I cannot hear any noise.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hello exavid :waving:

Thanks for the recent replies. Your input for the real wheel noise certainly helped.

As for this new problem, I tend to think it is more of a wind noise effect. I will try the newspaper around the forks and look closely for any loose parts in the fairing area. I will keep in touch.

As for the helmet issue...I wont ask!

Thanks again! :cool:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

First:, run the bike speed a fair amount over the 55 mph & up, then pull the clutch in & coast back through the offending road speed. Is the noise still there? If so it isn't engine related.

Yes the noise is the same.

Try applying the front brakes lightly when the problem occurs. If the noise changes or quits you probably have a dragging front brake.

The noise is still there unless it drops in speed to about 50km/hour.

Try riding both INTO & AGAINST the prevailing wind. If the speed that the noise comes in is lower going into the wind your problem is probably a wind whistle or air speed induced problem. If so look for loose trim, gap at the windshield, etc.

Seems to appear faster (75km/h) going into the wind. Noise started at 85km/h coming with the wind.

Is it possible the noise you hear is coming from your radio speakers?

No...radio is off!

If so suspectoxidised brass contacts on the back of the radio.Try removing the radio then test ride the bike.

If you have a friend with a quiet bike have him ride along beside you & listen for the noise's origin or area.

If you can pinpoint the area that the noise is coming from a little closer for us we can probably help you a little more.

The noise seems to come from the mid part of the fairing or the radiator zone.

Thanks for your help!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

There is a stamped metal plate on the bottom of the triple tree between the fork tubes, check to see if that plate is screwed down tightly just in case the wind is causing it to flutter slightly in the wind.

Have you checked the front fender to wheel clearance? As you drive faster the front tirewill grow in diameterand may be contacting the fender, especially since the tire is new and may have long mold tips. If the fender is close to contacting the tire just loosen the fender bolts and reposition the fender.

It's hard to diagnose sounds in text, but, I'm certain that if you persist in your search for the source of the noise that you will find it, especailly with all the great Gold Wing experience and knowledge available to you on this site.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Midnight Frog wrote:

Is it possible the noise you hear is coming from your radio speakers?

No...radio is off!

Thanks for your help!
Midnight Frog, that doesn't necessarily mean the radio is not making the noise. I had acontinuous loud hum coming from my radio speakers on my 1200 even with the radio turned off. It turned out to be a combination of dirty rear radio contacts & the antenna lead running too close to the main wire harness.

To eliminate the speakers as the cause, either remove the radio (very easy) or justset the radio switch to the helmet speaker position (that turns speakers off).

It still sounds like either a tire rub or wind noise though. If wind direction makes a difference probably wind noise.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
It still sounds like either a tire rub or wind noise though. If wind direction makes a difference probably wind noise.

Twisty
I'd think a tire rub ought to change pitch pretty directly with speed. I still like wind whistles they are so delightfully random.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

It's your speedo cable. I have the same exact thing happen.

When it's cold (below 40) I get this sound that suddenly starts at 40 mph, and won't go away until I drop below 40. If I've been running for long enough, I can slow down below 40, then speed up it won't come back.

Pull the inner cable out, lube it up good with a light weight grease, and slide it back in. It'll all work out just fine.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks "philcsand"

I will try to lube it tonight...I suspect that might be the problem.

Gilles (Midnight Frog)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.