Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This forum has been the best for answering my questions ...and I have another one

I noticed when I was changeing out my rear brake pads that my right front and rear brakes both work off my brake petal ....my first thought is dang this could be down right dangerous on gravel or slick roads .

Been rideing 2 up about 2,000 miles so far on this new to me 1100 ...great ride by the way ...never knew a motorcycle could be so rider friendly .

I`m planning a road trip to Daytona in March ....never been and thought the wife and would enjoy the beach road rideing early spring and oh course people watching ...you know watching the young folks do the ..Hold my beer and watch this ! sort of thing.

I could use some tips on the brakeing system before I find a chance to ride in the rain ....I know I could buy a newer Goldwing wit ABS but thats just not in the budget .

thanks again fellows for the always quick and honest replys .

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Honda added the linked brake system in 1983 to current. It works well. Much as your cage brake system does. On bikes your best braking power is your front brakes. Use them first front lever first and add the pedal after if needed.

When changing pads, be sure and clean the pistons and slid pins each time if you want the most you can get out of your brakes. Also lube the pins after cleaning with a brake caliper lube, and check the rubbers that keep out water and dirt from the pins, replace them if cracked.
If you don't clean the pistons and pins, you will have your brakes hanging up and prematurely wearing out of the pads and rotors.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I am wondering if my pressure on the pedal is going to be equal force on the front and rear brake at the same time .
never used the front brake in gravel before on a motorcycle without ending up on the ground .
I have a long driveway with loose gravel ...so far so good comming in and out ...but I press the petal like it has a fine china under it .
I made the mistake of useing my front brake on my Magna one time comming into my driveway and ...went down quick ..been a little leary of the front brakes ever since except on dry roads with no gravel .

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You have to use the feeling on your front brakes.
When using front only, lightly on, any time you are turning the forks in sand/gravel, the hard pull while turned will send you off balance quickly.
The rear pedal in your driveway will send you down if you hit it real hard while turned. Just go slow with it and learn your bike, try different ways to learn the different situations you might encounter on the road.
Practice lots alone and go easy at first. That way you save your hide and your passenger will like the ride better. How long have you been riding? Have you taken a riders safety course?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

been rideing the last 5 years on a NightHawk and Magna just bought the Goldwing back this past summer .
the Goldwing is a much different experience for me .
I just feel if I need to stop fast ...this front and rear brakeing with the brake petal is going to be something a little hard to control on gravel or wet roads .
It might be the reason for the ABS on the newer Goldwings .
haven`t had the chance to ride the Goldwing in the rain yet ..so I`m not sure how its going to react with the brakes set up this way .
Not sure why Honda would set up this bike this way its going to be hard to feel the front brake when its in the rear brake petal .
its a brakeing system I have never encountered on another motorcycle .
I was a little disapointed when I relized the brake petal was also working the right front brake .

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

They work well. You will get used to it. Yes ABS is nice but you got the dough????

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

not enough dough for an ABS bike today maybe never ..(retired ) and don`t buy lottery tickets ..
I guess I need an emergency stop in the rain one time so I`ll know how she is going to act .
I had thought about blocking off the front brake from the rear master cyc ...and routeing both front brakes from the hand brake like on my Magna .
would like to hear from those who have had to make the emergency stop with this brakeing system .

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

10Man: Welcome to the forum. Do you have all your parts? I recommend you get organic or OEM even better. Stay away from "high performance" ceramic pads, as they will wear down the rotors pretty fast.

If you need any help, or you are going for a "pleasure ride" pm me so we can roll around. I'll probably be going to either Arkabutla taking 301 or Sardis taking 55. Let me know if you want to come along.

Gil

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I used to use mainly my front brake only and just the rear when reallyneeded, like coming to a stop on gravel, making a u-turn, or in an emergency situation, for over 44 yrs. I used to be a competitive enduro rider and some would classify me as a fairlyaggressive street rider on the wing. (at times).

Since recentlytaking a slow speed riding course, (like you see with the precision police riding displays) I was taught to keep my hand off of the front brakeduring anyslow speed maneuvers, especially where any sand/gravel is likely to be ... just use the rear. This took some getting used to as I have//had always been front brake biased.

Save the front mainly/only applicationfor higher speed on good solid slick free pavement. There is quite a difference. For all others a firm,gentle application of both to get a feel for conditions. Riding in the rain depends a lot on your tires and their wet weather handling characteristis/capabilities as to how much front braking force to use. Only experience will dictate as to how much to use. By no means just stomp on the back brake only!

Just this fall, while on a group ride, I witnessed one of our members with many years of experiencego down in a slow speed (<25mph)accident on a gravel road because he used the front brake and not the rear, while braking going straight ahead. The front wheel ended up locking up in the soft mound of gravel and 'washing out'. He had a pristine 09 HD Electroglide Ultra (or some such) and it got written off due to the damage. Both he and his wife ended up going in an ambulance, being treated and released from hospital

Go practice your turns using just the rear brake in an empty parking lot and note the differences. They can be quite subtle at times ... and not at others.

If you can find one, check to see if your local motorcycle safety riding classes/school offers any slow speed riding courses. They are very beneficial, IMHO!

Get to know your present bike and how it handles in as many situations as possible. It will make you a better rider.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Howdy Bufallowing
might be a tad cold for me to ride tomorrow ..but will give ya a shout when it warms up a little more .
I do the dam rides alot . it`ll nice on the Goldwing to be able to haul fried chicken and cold drinks .

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

Oops!!! I thought I mentioned Monday on my post. Sorry about that, currently using my phone, and it's hard to type with thumbs and a tiny screen. I'm going to the dam on Monday. I called the weather man and told him to schedule lower 60s for Monday, let's see if he can make it happen. If you are not working on Monday, and 60s is still cold for you, please let me know as early as possible so I can call the weather man and tell him to "bump up the thermostat"

Gil

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

sent ya a PM Bufallowing ...Monday might be a warm day if its dry .

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

You can switch to the split front/rear brake line setup. I have done it on my '83 & it works just fine. I used stainless steel lines to do the swap & also upgrade the system. There are 2 options for line routing. You can either run a double length banjo bolt off the front master cylinder & then run individual lines to each caliper or you can run one line from the front master cylinder to a caliper then run a line over the fender to the other caliper using a double length banjo to connect the lines. The rear line is a single line from the rear master cylinder to the rear caliper. I took the steel tubing & the proportioning valve off my Wing when I did the conversion. Has worked great for me going on 3 years now. Check my thread in the for sale section if you're interested in stainless steel brake lines.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
imported post

10Man wrote:
I am wondering if my pressure on the pedal is going to be equal force on the front and rear brake at the same time . ........
In 1983 Honda came out with the Unified Brake System . As you describe it the right front and rear caliper are "linked" together . It's not just that simple though . The pressure line going to the front has a pressure regulator in the circuit . Also the correct(not from an 82)right front caliper has smaller caliper pistons then the left front and rear calipers . On dry pavment you should be able to lock/skid the rear tire and not lock the front using only the pedal ( I am not recommending you try this ) . Perhaps if you grab a handful of lever and have the rear at lock up pressure you might in a full panic be able to lock the front . Its never happend to me . That said , I have locked the front wheel using only the hand lever but with the wheel on a compromised surface . I think you should get some more time in the seat and learn to trust the bike . On your gravel drive try using the rear pedal only .

So the answere to your above question I say is NO the pressure is not equal .

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I also believe this could be dangerous. Even ABS can be dangerous on just the type of roads it was designed for, roads with less than normal traction. This is especially true when you have been riding "normal" motorcycles for 40 years and half a million miles. I have the parts to convert my '85 1200 to standard brakes, just haven't got around to it yet.

FYI, the brake hoses and connector block from any year (I think) Kawasaki Nomad will fit the front brakes on the 1200 Goldwing, allowing you to connect the hose to the master cylinder, then connect the 2 hoses that come out of the junction block one to each caliper. Now the front brake lever will operate both front discs. The back is much easier. The rear master cylinder has 2 ports, just remove the line that goes to the front, and screw a plug into the port, and bleed the rear brakes. Then you will have normal brakes that work jusy like any other motorcycle. Be aware if you do it this way, that you give yourself time to get used to it, as it will feel very different at first. Grabbing the front brake lever will apply a lot more braking force to the front wheel than it used to.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks fellows ..I beleive I got the answer I was looking for . My main concern was if the front brake would be getting the same pressure as the rear does .
Onawingandaprayer answered that and that is what I was hopeing to hear . As long as the rear will lock up before the front does I beleive I will leave the system as is .
There are always times I want more rear brakeing action than front depending on road conditions .
this system is something I have never seen on any other motorcycle .
Honda may have got it right the first time once again .

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

You would probably never really notice they are linked, the system works really well. I had an 83 1100 and really couldn't tell the difference and the 1800 is linked both ways but it is not noticeable. I use the rear brake in situations where you would normally use a rear brake and the front likewise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.