Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

was hoping to get by without having to rebuild the front suspension for another month. Thursday while riding up to Globe and back around over El Capitan back to Florence I noticed the front end seemed to be picking up more road vibrations then Normal. When I got home the air had went down about four pounds and the forks popped up after I got off. I have the new progressives springs and was going to do them when I had the bike apart and when I put the new 416's on the rear. But I had to ride. So it looks like its time for the new springs and seals/wipes. The good news is one of my neighbors who is a bike mechanic offered to do them for 100 bucks so it looks like thats what I am going to do. Drat..and right at the start of the good riding season. Have to do it because I just put e3's on all the way around and I don't want to screw them up.:?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

1200 oem springs are due for a change out with this many years on them. I swapped mine for Progressives about 2 years ago for the same reason. I have never looked back. You may find, like I did, that air is no longer needed in the front forks when you go with the Progressive springs.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Anim8or Earl wrote:
Are you sure you don't just need to replace the fork oil?
Fork oil doesn't hold the bike up. The springs do.

Always a good idea to change the fork oil periodically and when the seals and dust caps are replaced the old oil has to come out anyway.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

Make sure you do the shims as well, and I really recomend OEM seals. Progressive springs are nice though. You'll like them.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yes Dennis thanks for the shim tip. Yes I had already purchased the OEM seals and Progressive springs. Got the front springs from Cycle Max for 67 bucks and the oem seals and wipes from Western Honda. So hopefully next week they will be done. I will check on the shims. Does western Honda carry those also?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status