Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I managed to get my front tire changed today. It wasnt too hard, and it didnt need balancing when I was done. Heck, it even "beaded" up nicely. I suppose the only thing to watch for now is hopefully I didnt ding the bead, and cause a slow leak.

So far so good. The new one is a 110/90/19 D404. The old one was a 100/90/19, Cheng Sh**. The d404 has a much rounder profile. The old one was kinda pointed in the middle of the tire. The new one is less prone to following any grooves in the road.

One little project closer to restored...

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you got rid of that Cheng Sh** I have blown 2 of them. They're dangerous! Specially 2 up. I see you changed your avitar. Nice!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks. Its sorta hard to make something that small, and have it decent quality. But its fun playing around.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

As you know that new tire won't have alot of grip untill it gets "Scrubbed " in , so be careful in those curves untill you get a couple hundred miles on it !

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

For a long time those Chengs were all you could get for the 1980-81 GL1100's 19" wheels. I know people who went out and bought the later bigger front and rear wheels and brakes setup just to avoid the Chengs. :?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Ensure when you cinched up the tire that you have the arrows on the keepers facing front and that you torque down the front bolts first, then do the rear.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Oh yes, I remember loads of those cheap China bike tyres flooding the bike shops over here. They were okay for small light bikes (although the tread wore down very quickly compared to better tyres), but lethal on anything heavier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.