Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1997 GL1500SE Trike. i have noticed that the wear pattern on the front tire is right in the center. this causes the tire to wear out rather quickly. i have heard some talk abut using a car tire on the rear (The Dark Side) with some success. i was wondering if any one has tried a car tire on the front of a Trike since the bike does not lean any more and it already uses car tires on the rear it seems only right to have a flat Treaded tire on the front. this looks like it would be safer and last longer than the traditional bike tire. the grooves are deeper and the road surface contact patch is larger.

Any one have any ideas on this topic and what size tire would fit along with where to get one.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I think some people put a rear bike tyre on the front of some trikes ... Ciaran

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
imported post

Yes,

I have also heard of Trikes running car tires on the front for just the reason you state.

Gives better road handling and tire wear. The wider patch on the ground I presume is what is doing the trick.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

You can't really say the tire only uses the center of the tread. As the bike turns more pressure is put on the side wall than with two down. You need this type of tire to act as a motorcycle tire does. Using a car tire it tends to slide easier (stiffer side walls and flat surface). I have tried theautomotive tire and went back to a motorcycle tire for that reason. I had to be very cautious on hard turns with the auto tire.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Put a bridgestone Battlax rear tire on the front, heavy thick tread designed for the rear will be on the front. A flat tire will not work, front needs to turn .

Kit

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
imported post

Morris Ive run a car tire on the rear of my 2 wheeler and on my trikes front wheel I run a michelin Pilot Activ in reverse because it is the rear tire off of a crotch rocket and its also bias ply as compared to the original which was a radial. Supposedly theres a dealer I think in california called Dauntless motors which specializes in sidecars. And supposedly there is a tire even though its not listed on their site that will fit some Goldwings (which models i dont know!) which is a european tire made for sidecar rigs. The guys on the TRI forum were talking about this awhile ago but no one ever named what the tire was. Ive never been able to find one for the front of my 1800 but the Michelin is so much better than the stock tire in handling and supposedly i can get 4 times the mileage out of it also so I guess i should just be grateful for what i have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.