Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys,

the weather has been perfect for riding here in Ohio,USA Hoping your having the same. My question is.... I ride a 86 1200 aspy and today I noticed the front tire is mostly wearing on one side. if your at the front the wear is mostly on the right side of the tire. It is very noticable. Is there an adjustment or alignment that needs to be performed to correct the problem. the tires have about 7000 miles on them and they are dunlops. Thanks ahead for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Ride in the opposite direction(har har).

Sorry, I'm just waiting to see what the real reason is. You say the tire is only cupping on one side. Have you checked your fork oil to see if both sides have the same amount of oil? Both fork legs tight and aligned?

I'll be interested to see what the Guru's come up with.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Hobie is getting warm.. there are three reasons for the front tire to wear on one side only...

1) Uneven fork tension. Could be due to low or dirty oil and / or air pressure.. The inlet air bracket could be blocked by crud from the compressor and only one fork is under pressure. Bent forks will also pull the front tree out of alignment.

2) Bad front wheel bearings.. Could be either one.. There should be absolutely NO play in the bearings and they should rotate smoothly with no rough, gritty or bumpy feel..replace them both if worn.

3) Bent frame.. It happens.. If you purchased the bike new, then you know it's history... If not, then after checking out the front end, invest a little time and $ in having the frame checked for trueness..

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Hi, JC Tire wear that you describe, On the left when seated on the bike is very normal and prevalent on almost every bike. The crown in the road causes the the tire to scrub a Little more on the left side. As you ride, to maintain a straight line you are ever so slightly turning to the left to counteract the road crown pushing you to the right. I ride alot of backroads and every bike I own exhibits this trait as the tire ages.Hope this is helpfull. True, you did not describe tire cupping, I stand corrected. Cupping usually is indicative of something out of wack

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I didn't see any mention of cupping in your tire wear post.. Cupping is caused by what I mentioned above, and a few other things...

Front tire out of balance, loose steering head bearings and under inflation will also cause cupping...

Of all the many many tires I have changed out, there have only been two that I remember were worn only on one side... This case is very rare... :whip:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Or... of course this bike could have NASCAR disease.... just goes around turning left.:p

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Renegade wrote:
under inflation will also cause cupping...
Hey Renegade :waving:You just beat me to it. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

He Redwing...:waving: (should have been honorary GURU :().. I rode a Honda Cub 50 for a while back in the 60's. It had bicycle pedels and a chain to the rear wheel.. You would peddle like crazy to get the engine running, and then the thing was a blast.. It would do about 35mph wide open.. The wheels were wire spoke with white wall tires... Is that something like what you have??:12beige:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The fork oil was changed at the end of sept. there doesn't seem to be any pull when riding.How do I check alignment????

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

JC, one thing the lads missed. I seen this on a Honda Shadow and the problem was that one of the fork legs was a couple of mm higher in the yolk than the other one. While this wouldn't make a difference on smooth surfaces, every time the forks compress you would have more wear on one side of the rubber.

Other factors (apart from accident damage)could be worn wheel bearings or a bent axle.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Joe

Iguess I've got few things to check out this weekend. Thanks to everyone for their input of Knowledge if anyone else has a thought let me know meanwhile I'll be checking things out.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

One other thing to consider and is not uncommon. Many people feel more confortable turning to the left. They also tend to be more aggressive in the turn by leaning harder and with more speed which tends to cause the tire to wear to that side. I am one that will be more aggressive in a left turn than the right turn.

Mark Gaeth

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

I guess I didn't see the word mostly on the right. They definatly wear slightly more onthe right,actually the left when seated, but Renegademan is right, if it's wearing alot more on that side something is amiss.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JC wrote:
Hey guys,

the weather has been perfect for riding here in Ohio,USA Hoping your having the same. My question is.... I ride a 86 1200 aspy and today I noticed the front tire is mostly wearing on one side. if your at the front the wear is mostly on the right side of the tire. It is very noticable. Is there an adjustment or alignment that needs to be performed to correct the problem. the tires have about 7000 miles on them and they are dunlops. Thanks ahead for any help.
I've posted this article on another topic, but here it is again. Might answer some of your questions:

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Renegade wrote:
He Redwing...I rode a Honda Cub 50 for a while back in the 60's. It had bicycle pedels and a chain to the rear wheel.. You would peddle like crazy to get the engine running, and then the thing was a blast.. It would do about 35mph wide open.. The wheels were wire spoke with white wall tires... Is that something like what you have??
Hey Renegade :waving:I had one of those many years ago, :jumper:but i have what i call the newer model now. :clapper:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.